GF sunflower, nutty oat & cherry cookies are the perfect “go-to” snack for kids and adults.
Sunflower seed butter is my favorite substitute for peanut butter. It’s a great alternative to those who have allergies or sensitivities to peanut butter, almond butter, or any other nut butter. You won’t miss peanut butter for one second after you bite into these chewy cookies.
These sunflower butter and oat cookies have a few other benefits as well as tasting delicious:
- Ingredients are wholesome so you can feel good about eating them and offering them to friends and family.
- The recipe is dairy, egg, nut, soy, corn, and gluten-free, though you can use whole grain flour to replace the gluten-free if desired.
- There is a decent amount of fiber from the oats, flaxseeds, and fruit.
Weight watcher points plus are 3 points for smaller cookies and 6 points for larger cookies.
To Make GF Sunflower, Nutty Oat & Cherry Cookies You Will Need:
- Ripe bananas
- Vanilla or water (water works fine if your diet doesn’t allow vanilla extract)
- Sunflower seed butter
- Honey, agave, pure maple syrup, or brown rice syrup
- Gluten-free old fashioned oats
- Quick-cooking gluten-free oats (quinoa may be substituted)
- Ground flaxseed
- Baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
- Brown rice flour (or any gluten-free flour)
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, I used allergy-friendly
- Macadamia nuts or sunflower seeds
- Dried cherries or other dried fruit
Be sure to eat some cookies while they are warm…they are delicious!
GF Sunflower, Nutty Oat & Cherry Cookies
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 Tbsp vanilla or water water works fine if your diet doesn't allow vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sunflower seed butter
- 3 Tbsp honey agave, pure maple syrup, or brown rice syrup
- 2 cups gluten-free old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking gluten-free oats quinoa may be substituted
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour or any gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips I used allergy-friendly
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts or sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or other dried fruit cut into a size you prefer
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- In a large mixing bowl add bananas, vanilla, sunflower seed butter, and sweetener. Mix well.
- Add in all the other ingredients and stir together until combined.
- Place heaping tablespoons, or use a cookie scoop for larger cookies, on the prepared baking sheet. Slightly flatten cookies and bake for 11-12 minutes for smaller cookies, and 14-15 minutes for larger cookies.
- Halfway through the baking time use a large tined fork and flatten a little more if desired.
- Cool on wire racks.