Creamy Cashew, Mushroom and Pasta Dinner ~ Gluten-free option
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
Creamy Cashew Mushroom and Pasta Dinner is a treat for the taste buds! Whether you are a meat-eater or not, I sure do hope you give this recipe a try.
I’ll admit soaking the cashews was a new thing for me, but I was intrigued because I have seen a lot of recipes for cheese substitutes made from soaked cashews.
Since I love pasta, mushrooms, and spinach…what did I have to lose right? I love the way it looks once it’s all mixed up with the pasta!! And it’s as good as it looks…healthy too!
Mushrooms Are A Big Deal And This Is Why:
1. Mushrooms are incredibly healthy, even considered a superfood.
2. They are low in calories, very low in fact.
3. Button mushrooms, like in this recipe, have good sources of selenium, copper, phosphorus, zinc, and potassium.
They are also rich in B-complex vitamins.
You could always add some cut-up cooked chicken in with this dish too. I think that would be a nice combination for those wanting more protein…similar to a dairy-free chicken alfredo. A nice way to use up leftovers too.
This recipe idea is from, thedishonhealthy, a great blog. She calls this recipe, Mushroom, and Cashew Alfredo Pasta.
Vegan Parmesan cheese for dairy-free
Cooked chicken in bite-sized pieces, optional
Mix it all together with the penne.
Creamy Cashew, Mushroom and Pasta Dinner
- 1 2/3 cups raw cashews soaked for 2-4 hours
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cloves fresh garlic finely chopped or 1 1/2 tsp minced in a jar.
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/4 cup water or chicken broth I used chicken broth. Water for vegans.
- 2-3 cups fresh mushrooms any variety you like is fine. I used about 12 button mushrooms. Largely chopped or sliced.
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce gluten-free if needed, coconut aminos for soy-free
- red pepper flakes
- penne pasta gluten-free if needed
- parmesan cheese freshly grated optional ~ vegan parmesan cheese is also an option.
- cooked chicken Cut into bite-sized pieces ~optional
- In a food processor add cashews, garlic, nutritional yeast, broth, and salt. Puree until smooth.
- In a medium-sized skillet sautee mushrooms and onions in oil.
- Add soy sauce, stir well. Add spinach and cook a few minutes more.
- Remove from heat. Add cashew mixture and mix well.
- Spoon over cooked pasta. Sprinkle on some red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese if desired.