I don’t remember a Christmas without these Russian Tea Cookies to share and enjoy among family members and friends.
In fact, we could hardly make them fast enough! They would just keep disappearing right off the counter!!
The hint of vanilla and the sweetness from the powdered sugar nearly melt in your mouth, yet you still have the perfect amount of crunch from the nuts.
This recipe has no eggs and there are two gluten and dairy-free options offered below.
- Butter softened ~ a non-dairy substitute like Earth Balance Buttery Sticks or Country Crock Plant-Butter is optional.
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour, or a Measure-For-Measure gluten-free substitute.
- Chopped nuts, walnuts, or pecans. I use walnuts.
- Powdered sugar for rolling.
Store in airtight containers or freeze and use as desired.
I hope you love this recipe as much as my family does! Read on for an additional gluten-free version.
There are two gluten-free and dairy-free Russian Tea Cookie recipes you can try:
- Substitute with a measure-for-measure gluten-free flour as shown in the printable recipe below.
- The second option is written below. Remember gluten-free recipes are sometimes a bit more fragile but still delicious.
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Russian Tea Cookies: Makes about 30-40 cookies
1 cup butter, or a non-dairy substitute like Earth Balance Butter Sticks or Country Crock Plant Butter. Softened.
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
7/8 cup brown or white rice flour, do not shakedown, or flour will pack.
7/8 cup garbanzo bean flour, do not shakedown or pack.
2 tsp Xanthan gum
1 cup chopped nuts, I use walnuts.
Powdered sugar for rolling.
Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add flour and Xanthan gum, and mix well. Stir in nuts.
Chill dough for an hour or overnight.
Preheat oven to 325. Form dough into small 1″ balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let sit a couple of minutes then roll in powdered sugar. Roll again when completely cooled.
Store in an air-tight container or freeze until ready to use.
Mom's Russian Tea Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened ~ a non-dairy substitute like Earth Balance Buttery Sticks or Country Crock Plant-Butter is optional.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour, sifted or a Measure-For-Measure gluten-free substitute.
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts walnuts or pecans. I use walnuts.
- Powdered sugar for rolling.
- Mix sugar, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Sift, measure, then add flour and salt. Mix.
- Stir in chopped nuts. Cover and chill for an hour or up to a day or two ahead.
- Preheat oven to 400. Make small balls from the dough and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes. The bottom of the cookies will be slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes.
- Roll slightly warm cookies in powdered sugar. I roll them again when completely cooled. After rolling the cookies in powdered sugar, I set them on paper towels to continue cooling. It's a little less messy to clean up.
- Store in airtight containers or freeze and use as desired.