GF Better Energy Squares
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
These energy squares are sweet enough to call dessert but healthy enough for everyone to enjoy.
The options are limitless with this recipe, nothing is set in stone. In fact…these energy squares could be a great way to use up a lot of leftovers in the cupboard. You can even mix leftover nut butter together, I do this all the time.
I found the original recipe on a blog called 86LEMONS.com, but I had to roast my nuts and add some coconut to satisfy my tastebuds. I also prefer to use salted cashews…I love that sweet and salty combination with nutty treats.
To make these energy squares Paleo make these changes:
~substitute almond butter or sunflower seed butter for the peanut butter.
~substitute raw honey for the agave
~use 70% dark chocolate chopped into small pieces for the mini chocolate chips.
To make GF Better Energy Squares you will need these ingredients:
old fashioned rolled oats, gluten-free if needed
ground flax seed
roasted pumpkin seeds
roasted salted cashews
agave (honey for paleo)
peanut butter, I use natural peanut butter or sunflower butter without sugar. Almond butter or sunflower seed butter for paleo.
mini chocolate chips, I used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
(70% chocolate for paleo)
These tasty energy squares are best stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
Enjoy! I hope you give these a try soon…I can’t wait to hear what you think!
You might also like to try this snack recipe, Date With A Fig Energy Bites.
GF Better Energy Squares
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats gluten-free if needed
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup roasted salted cashews
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds
- 1/2 cup agave honey for paleo
- 1 cup peanut butter I use natural peanut butter or sunflower butter without sugar. Almond butter or sunflower seed butter for paleo.
- 1/3 -1/2 cup mini chocolate chips I used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 70% chocolate for paleo
- Prepare a square 9"x9" pan with parchment paper for easy removal of bars. Wax paper would be fine too.
- In a small bowl combine nut butter of choice and agave.
- In a medium-size bowl add all other ingredients. Mix well.
- Add nut butter mixture to dry mixture and mix well. At one point I just use my hands to really incorporate all the ingredients.
- Press into prepared pan and refrigerate until firm.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Lift the entire square out of the pan by holding onto the parchment paper to lift out. This makes cutting into the squares much easier. But of course, my husband can't wait and starts cutting pieces right out of the pan!