Easy Lean Meatloaf is not quite like mom used to make. Instead, this homestyle meatloaf is lean with mushrooms, allergy-friendly, and has a sugar-free ketchup option.
We’ve enjoyed this basic meatloaf recipe for years. Sometimes we like to jazz it up with olives, sweet peppers, and when my husband talks me into it…a little sausage. Try substituting ground turkey for another delicious, healthy option too.
This tasty lean meatloaf recipe makes fantastic meatballs too that are amazing served with spaghetti or as appetizers. Bake meatballs at 350 for about 25 minutes.
You might also want to check out these popular mini appetizer meatballs which my family devours every Christmas Eve.
To Make This Delicious Easy Lean Meatloaf You Will Need These Ingredients:
1. Lean ground beef
2. Oatmeal ~ quick-cooking or old-fashioned, gluten-free if needed.
4. Milk or a non-dairy substitute.
6. Salt & pepper
7. Ketchup ~ check labels for allergins Heinz is a great allergy-friendly
8. Brown sugar
9. Mustard ~ Heinz is allergy-friendly
This easy lean meatloaf is perfect for gluten, dairy, soy, nut, corn, and sugar-free diets but just remember as always, read labels.
**For yeast and sugar-free diets leave off sauce or make a homemade sugar free ketchup sweetened with stevia.
Leftovers are fabulous as the flavors seem to enhance overnight. Sandwiches and wraps are just around the corner. Try cutting leftover meatloaf in small chunks and add it to a pizza, it’s fantastic!
Easy Lean Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking or old fashioned oatmeal I used gluten-free
- 3/4 cup milk or non-dairy type substitute. (I used soy milk)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl add lean ground beef, oats, milk, egg, onions, salt, and pepper. Mix well. I find my hands work well in mixing these ingredients.
- Press mixture into a large loaf pan. Cover the top of the meatloaf with sliced mushrooms.
- In a small mixing bowl add ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Mix well. Pour over mushrooms.
- Bake for 70-80 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully pour off much of the liquid from the pan. Let meatloaf rest a few minutes before serving. Remove meatloaf from pan and slice to the desired thickness for serving.