Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Mounds are big soft peanut butter, oats, and coconut mounds with a sprinkle of chopped walnuts and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
It’s not easy to convince some folks, like my husband… that a healthy cookie can also be really delicious too. But I can safely say I have succeeded with these cookies.
What happens if I use a different type of flour?
Use any flour you like in this peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe. Ours are gluten-free, but if you don’t need to avoid gluten feel free to use whatever is in the cupboard; all-purpose, whole wheat, oat, or almond. I’ve used gluten-free blends of various name brands, sorghum, rice, and oat flour. So far, changing the flour in this recipe does not affect the outcome of the cookie.
Should I flatten the cookies before baking?
When placed on the baking sheet, I use a large cookie scoop and leave them in the scoop or mound shape. This will give you a soft, satisfying cookie to bite into. Therefore try to hold back on the urge to flatten the mounds before baking.
If you count weight watcher points, each cookie has 4.8 points. This is a large cookie and can be made half the size. Therefore, if you make 30 cookies from the recipe, each cookie will have 2.4 points plus.
Parchment paper is my absolute first choice for lining baking sheets, but silicone baking mats are also fine. You may also use a non-stick spray if you prefer.
To Make Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Mounds You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Bananas, spotted ~ bananas without spots for Low FODMAP
- Vanilla extract
- Natural peanut butter, I used creamy
- Pure maple syrup, agave syrup, honey – or a combination of any of the three.
- Old-fashioned gluten-free oats
- Gluten-free flour – any you desire. My favorites are Pamela’s Products – Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour – Artesian Blend, Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour, and Sorghum.
- Baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
- Ground flax seed
- Hemp seeds (optional, but very healthy)
- Chopped walnuts (or other nuts of your choice)
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, dairy & gluten-free.
Enjoy some cookies right away…they are yummy!!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Mounds
- 3 spotted bananas ~without spots for Low FODMAP mashed
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter I used creamy
- 3 Tbs pure maple syrup agave syrup, or honey - or a combination of any of the three
- 2 cups old-fashioned gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour ~ My favorites are Pamela's Products - Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour - Artesian BlendBob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour, and Sorghum.
- 1 tsp baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
- 1 Tbs ground flax seed
- 1 Tbs hemp seeds optional, but very healthy
- 3 Tbs chopped walnuts or other nuts of your choice
- 3 Tbs unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips ~(I use Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips dairy & gluten-free
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare baking sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl add mashed bananas, vanilla, peanut butter, and pure maple syrup. Mix well.
- Add oats, flour, flax seeds, hemp seeds, and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Add chopped nuts, coconut, and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Scoop mounds of dough onto prepared baking sheets. These cookies will not spread out, so quite a few will fit on the baking sheet at a time. Bake for about 14 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.