Corny cornbread might be the perfect side dish, and from what I’ve seen, fresh homemade cornbread is always a crowd favorite.
My husband came up with this flavorful creation using my 20-year-old treasured home-style cornbread recipe. He proudly calls it corny cornbread, so it is only fair to stick with that name for this post. This sweet, tender bread has little bits of corn that pleasantly surprise you bite after bite.
I acquired a passion for cornbread at a very young age. I would order fresh homemade cornbread with honey butter from a restaurant my family went to weekly in my teens. It was almost as good as dessert!
About a year ago my husband suggested we add frozen corn to the cornbread batter; I was not so sure about this…but I have to admit, his idea is a tasty success.
Slice cornbread into squares or rectangles and serve with butter, a non-dairy substitute, honey, or honey-butter.
This recipe is easily made dairy, gluten, and egg-free as well.
**I prefer these ready-made gluten-free flour blends for the gluten-free version of this recipe:
To Make Corny Cornbread You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Yellow cornmeal
- Flour ~ gluten-free if needed
- Baking powder
- Egg or egg replacer ~ two egg whites are also an option
- Milk or a non-dairy substitute
- Corn ~ frozen or canned (optional)
To test if the cornbread is done, I insert a knife in the center of the cornbread. The knife should come out clean.
Fresh cornbread is delicious with just about anything, but we especially like it with:
Be sure to try some honey butter on your corny cornbread too. Just mix some honey into softened butter.
Enjoy your cornbread!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour ~ gluten-free if needed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg or egg replacer for vegans or two whites for less fat option.
- 1 cup milk or dairy-free product for vegans, I use soy milk often
- 1 cup corn (optional) frozen or canned
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray a 9" x 9" square pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Combine oil, egg or egg replacer, and milk or milk replacer in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and combine gently with a large spoon, stir until blended.
- Fold in corn. If corn is frozen, microwave it for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until center is done. Test by sticking a butter knife into the center of the bread, it should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and cut into squares to serve.