This Chipotle Lime Rice is surprisingly versatile and fantastic served with Mexican entrees or barbecued meats and baked beans. I’ve even offered it as a side with some pulled pork sandwiches, homemade baked beans, corn on the cob, coleslaw, and fresh fruit for our 4th of July meal. Then I ate the leftover beans and rice together for the rest of the week.
I eat a lot of rice…and I have kind of gotten into a rut making the same Spanish rice recipe all the time, even though I do love that recipe. So as you can imagine I was pretty excited when my daughter shared these two versions of lime rice with me.
My husband and I often eat beans and rice for lunch. He makes a burrito and I have mine as a burrito bowl with baked corn chips for dipping and some salsa and guacamole.
I’m going to share two recipe options with you; both are yummy and as you will see the second one is a two-serving recipe. Of course if you like that one it can be doubled for a bigger batch.
Weight watcher points plus should count points for this chipotle lime rice exactly as you would for plain white rice, 5 points for each cup.
To Make Chipotle Lime Rice You Will Need These Ingredients:
1. Basmati rice
3. Fresh cilantro
4. Fresh lime
5. Butter or oil if you make the two-serving recipe.
How To Juice A Fresh Lime:
I still use this juicer of my moms from many years ago and it works perfectly for this. The seeds stay back in the grooves and it is so much easier and less messy than squeezing the fruit.
If you aren’t using a juicer try some of these tips to make the process easier:
1. Put the whole lime in the microwave for 20 seconds on high. Let the lime cool for a minute before juicing.
2. Roll the lime against the counter. This will help open the segments inside which makes the lime easier to juice.
3. Cut the lime lengthwise instead of crosswise into about 6 sections. Then pick up each section and twist and squeeze to release the juices.
Chipotle Lime Rice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1/4 tsp salt divided
- 2-3 Tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh lime juice 2 or 3 limes
- In a large kettle add 2 tsp of salt to 8 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice. Boil uncovered for 12 minutes.
- Drain water from rice using a fine-mesh strainer. Rinse rice with hot water.
- Pour rice into a large bowl. Add chopped cilantro, the juice from limes, and the remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
- Mix well, adding more salt to taste.
Two Serving Chipotle Lime Rice
- 1 tsp butter or oil
- 2 tsp cilantro
- 2/3 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lime
- In a saucepan melt butter or oil. Add rice and lime.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add water and salt, bring to a boil and let simmer for 25 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro