I love an easy recipe and this Spanish rice is definitely easy and absolutely perfect served with all your favorite Mexican dishes.
One of my very favorite things to eat for lunch is a plate of refried beans and Spanish or Mexican rice with some salsa and baked scoops. It’s a perfect combination; I guess that’s why it’s a side dish at restaurants too.
You can use a small amount of oil or make this a fat free Spanish rice. To make a fat-free version skip the oil and add everything all at once in the skillet. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
Weight watcher points are 3 points for 1/2 a cup serving.
This is gluten and yeast-free and can be altered for vegans by changing the broth.
Saute rice in oil or butter for about 3 minutes. Add broth or water and salsa. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and it’s ready to serve!
~sometimes I puree the salsa a little with a hand blender if I don’t want the chunks of peppers in my rice.
~ if you use brown rice increase cooking time to 40 minutes.
Quick & Easy Spanish Rice
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth vegetable broth or water option for vegans
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups salsa I use Pace Original Picante Sauce Yeast-free diets should use an appropriate fresh salsa.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or butter olive oil for vegans
- Saute rice in oil or butter for about 3 minutes.
- Add broth or water and salsa.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and it's ready to serve!
~ sometimes I puree the salsa a little with a hand blender if I don't want the chunks of peppers in my rice.
~ brown rice increase cooking time to 40 minutes. ~ 3 WW points plus for each 1/2 cup serving.