Conscientious Cowboy Beans are almost homemade; yet so much easier! Don’t save these healthy baked beans just for summer barbecues, these should be enjoyed all year long.
This favorite bean recipe is requested by both my family and my husband’s family on holidays and an occasional get together.
If you are wanting to reduce the amount of fat you are consuming, this recipe is perfect plus it’s a delicious way to increase daily fiber intake. Kids will like these baked beans too because there are no onions.
Conscientious Cowboy Beans has one added tablespoon of brown sugar in the entire dish of beans, which is uncommon for a baked bean dish. I would even feel comfortable leaving that one tablespoon of sugar out.
Weight watchers points plus can count 6 points if the entire recipe is divided into 8 servings.
Please note ** These amounts are for the meatless version only.
If you are a Forks Over Knives follower, this is perfect. But if you are a meat-eater feel free to add some Italian sausage, precooked and fat drained.
To Make Conscientious Cowboy Beans You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Bush’s Vegetarian Baked Beans, or any other brand you like
- Red beans, any brand.
- Navy or small white beans, any brand.
- Tomato sauce
- Medium apple, any variety you like.
- Minced garlic
- Chili powder
- Brown sugar ~ may be omitted
Simple, healthy, and delicious.
Conscientious Cowboy Beans - Meatless & GF
- 1 28 oz can Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans or any other brand you like
- 1 15 oz can red beans any brand. Drained and rinsed.
- 1 15 oz can navy or small white beans any brand. Drained and rinsed.
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 medium apple any variety you like. Peeled and finely chopped.
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar may be omitted
- Combine all ingredients in a 2qt casserole dish and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350. Or use a slow cooker and let them cook all day on low.