Round steak & mushroom stroganoff is always a hit. There is something about this flavor combination that just won’t let you put your fork down!
My mother-in-law gave me this stroganoff recipe almost 30 years ago (that’s a long time) in a cookbook made by the ladies of her church. The cookbook was a fundraiser with favorite recipes from the congregation inside. This is certainly a book I have treasured.
I wasn’t a big fan of stroganoff growing up. To be honest, the only kind of stroganoff I had ever tried was in the school cafeteria…enough said.
Want to lighten your beef stroganoff up a bit?
If you prefer a lower-fat option, just use low-fat products:
- Substitute a low-fat butter product
- Low-fat sour cream
- Lower-fat cream of mushroom soup.
We usually add a lot of extra mushrooms they are good for you! We are a mushroom-loving family!
**Below the original recipe you will find gluten and a dairy-free option for the cream of mushroom soup. Unless you are lucky enough to find one at the store.
To Make Round Steak & Mushroom Stroganoff You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Butter ~ Light or dairy-free variety if preferred
- Round steak
- Fresh sliced mushrooms
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup. *Gluten & dairy-free option below.
- Sour cream ~ Light variety if preferred, dairy-free if needed.
- Water ~ leave out if using gluten-free cream soup substitution
- Egg noodles or any pasta you like. Gluten & egg-free if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a small saucepan or medium-sized skillet melt butter. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper. Let cook over medium-low heat for about 1 1/2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly stir in broth, then milk or milk substitute. Whisk gently until blended and it begins to thicken. (Don’t give up, this will combine) Simmer for a few minutes. Add in place of condensed soup in the recipe.
Try this cozy meal sometime too Copy-Cat Chicken Alfredo, it tastes just like a restaurant.
Round Steak & Mushroom Stroganoff
- 2 Tbsp butter. Light or dairy-free variety if preferred
- 1 lb round steak cut into strips
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1-2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms We definitely add 2 cups.
- 1 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup *Gluten & dairy-free option below.
- 1/2 cup sour cream Light variety if preferred Dairy-free if needed.
- 1/3 cup water leave out if using gluten-free cream soup substitution
- salt and pepper to taste
- Egg noodles or any pasta you like. Gluten & egg-free if needed.
- Heat butter in a large skillet. Add the meat strips and onion. Cook until meat is browned and onion is tender.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook for about 3-5 minutes more. Reduce heat and stir in soup, sour cream, and water. Mix gently until well combined.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour over a moderately low temperature, about 225 degrees.
- When the meat is fork-tender it is ready. Prepare noodles according to the package. Serve meat over cooked pasta.
Gluten & Dairy Free Cream Soup Substitute
- 2 Tbsp butter or dairy-free substitute
- 3 Tbsp gluten-free flour I used 1 1/2 Tbsp of starch and 1 1/2 brown rice flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk ~ I used dairy-free
- In a small saucepan or medium-size skillet melt butter. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper. Let cook over medium-low heat for about 1 1/2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly stir in broth, then milk or milk substitute. Whisk gently until blended and it begins to thicken. (Don’t give up, this will combine) Simmer for a few minutes. Add in place of condensed soup in the recipe.