Old Fashioned Potato Salad ~ Gluten & dairy-free options
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
My grandma, like so many grandmothers…made the best old-fashioned potato salad! I use to love picking the extra big chunks of potatoes out of the salad when I was little.
A creamy, homemade salad dressing is a “win-win” as you will find with this potato salad. The dressing is actually my mom’s recipe, and it is delicious on macaroni salad too.
If you need a gluten-free dressing please check the labels carefully! Kraft Miracle Whip is supposed to be gluten-free, I used this product in my salad without any problems. Use low fat for a lighter option. Use Vegenaise for dairy, soy, gluten, and nut-free plus there is a lighter version of this product too.
Maybe try making your own using this recipe, Basic Mayonnaise Recipe.
There’s lots of flavor in all these ingredients, and I like to chop them up finely so there’s a little bit of everything in every forkful.
This potato salad recipe has been enjoyed by our family for about 50 years. It seems to have just the right “twang” and also makes a fabulous macaroni salad by substituting pasta (gluten-free if needed) for the potatoes.
**Please Note: Eat leftovers within 3-4 days. And don’t leave salad out at room temperature for over 2 hours.
Old Fashioned Potato Salad
- 4 cups cooked ~ cooled and cubed potatoes.
- 6 boiled eggs ~ chopped.
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions.
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet pickles ~ Nalley Pickles are free from dairy ~ egg, tree nuts, peanuts, soy, and wheat.
- 1/4 cup sliced olives ~ optional.
- 1/4 cup cooked ~ crumbled bacon – optional.
- 1 cup Kraft Miracle Whip or any store brand dressing. ~ check the label for gluten-free Vegenaise for dairy-free.
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sweet pickle juice ~ right from the pickle jar.
- In a medium bowl gently combine cubed potatoes, chopped eggs, chopped green onions, pickles, and optional olives.
- In a small mixing bowl combine miracle whip, mustard, celery seed, salt, pepper, and sweet pickle juice. Mix well.
- Pour over potato and egg mixture and gently combine. Sprinkle optional crumbled bacon over top, cover and chill until ready to serve.