Tender Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Pan Muffins or muffin squares if you prefer.
Have you heard of a pan muffin? Well, I certainly hadn’t…
My daughter sampled my new brownies; at least, I thought they were brownies. But she seemed to think they were more like a muffin…therefore, we called them “pan muffins.” And that’s how the name “pan muffins” was created. We were just kidding around, but we continued to call them that and still do.
It’s a pleasure to bite into this super moist, low-fat treat. The nuts are optional; leave them out for a nearly fat-free dessert.
*Use regular all-purpose flour if gluten-free isn’t needed.
To Make These Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Pan Muffins You Will Need:
- Medium ripe bananas
- Unsweetened applesauce with or without cinnamon
- Sugar ~ I used beet sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Shredded zucchini
- Xanthan gum ~ guar gum for corn-free
- Gluten-free flour mix ~ check the label for corn and dairy ingredients if using a purchased product
- Chopped walnuts ~ optional (omit for nut-free)
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips ~ I used Enjoy Life Allergy-friendly Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips.
Weight watcher points are 4 for each square with nuts. Without nuts 3 points each.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Pan Muffins
- 2 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce ~ with or without cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sugar ~ I used beet sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini ~ gently squeezed with a paper towel
- 1 tsp xanthan gum ~ guar gum for corn-free and Low FODMAP
- 2 cups gluten-free flour mix ~ check label for corn and dairy ingredients
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts ~ optional omit for nut-free
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips ~ I used allergy-friendly semi-sweet mini chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9"x13" pan with a non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, add bananas, applesauce, and sugar. Mix well.
- Add vanilla and cocoa. Mix well.
- Add baking soda, salt, and zucchini. Mix well.
- Stir in flour and xanthan gum. Fold in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes. Pan muffins should spring back when lightly touched.
- Let cool slightly before tasting…cool to room temperature before serving.
- When cutting into squares, these are a little sticky, so I just wipe off the knife as I cut.