Trio-Color Quinoa and red quinoa are my two favorite varieties of this popular superfood.
All varieties of quinoa are highly nutritious. Quinoa is gluten-free, non-GMO, and believe it or not, it’s not considered a grain. That’s right; it is a seed that is prepared and eaten like a grain.
Quinoa has a high nutrient content but is also a great protein and fiber source. It even has a small amount of omega – 3 fatty acids. The fact that it is a complete protein is pretty cool too, which means it has all the necessary amino acids.
Still not interested? I wasn’t either for a long time. The problem I discovered was that I didn’t like regular quinoa. I’m not sure what prompted me to try the trio quinoa, but I am so glad I did! I love red and trio quinoa. I think it has a lot to do with the texture, but I also feel like the red and trio quinoa have a milder flavor. Whatever the reason…I’m hooked!
Here Are Some Delicious Ways To Eat Quinoa:
1. As a side dish.
2. Add to soups instead of rice.
3. On salad.
4. Taco fillers.
Quinoa and bean version of a Southwestern Salad with sweet peppers, red onion, corn (if not allergic), quinoa, guac, and salsa. Add some ground turkey as an option too.
Fill tacos and burritos with tri-color quinoa, olives, guac, lettuce, cooked sweet potato cubes, and salsa.
I hope you enjoy tri-color quinoa. However, you decide to dish it up!
Trio-Color Quinoa & Beans
- 2 cups Trio-Color Quinoa
- 4 cups broth or water I used chicken broth in this recipe Vegetable broth for plant-based diets.
- 1 LG. onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil use broth for fat-free pilaf
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp coriander leaf
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet. Add quinoa, broth, and spices. Mix well.
- Bring covered mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Stir in drained beans, cover, and continue cooking for about 5 minutes. Beans should be hot.