Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cupcakes With Less Fat are truly one of the most delicious cupcakes you will ever bite into. I want to be sure and mention I took out an entire cube of butter from the original recipe. Now I’m not saying that Mom’s original chocolate zucchini cake recipe isn’t worth making, but if you are like me and like a little less fat in your desserts, then this cupcake is for you!
These chocolate chip cupcakes are moist and so chocolaty that you don’t really have to add the chocolate drizzle on top, but it does give them a little flair for special occasions. I don’t know about you but I love drizzle!
A little drizzle goes a long way so drizzle carefully or you will end up with too much.
Omit nuts if you prefer or for nut-free diets.
Zucchini is a nifty vegetable because it adds moisture to baked treats without altering the flavor, similar to applesauce in replacing part of the fat.
There are benefits in adding fruits and vegetables to recipes like these cupcakes. It’s like a bonus for our bodies to get some extra nutrients while our taste buds are enjoying the rich chocolate flavor. That’s a win-win folks!
To Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cupcakes With Less Fat You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Oil ~ I used olive oil
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Vanilla extract
- Sour milk or dairy-free ~ I use Almond, Soy, or Macadamia Milk with 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Eggs or EnerG Egg replacer or aquafaba.
- All-purpose flour or a gluten-free baking substitute like King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour Measure For Measure, or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 To 1.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Sugar ~ for less sugar use half Monkfruit Sweetener or Splenda
- Chocolate chips ~ I use allergy-friendly Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips or Barry Callebaut Chocolate Chips.
- Walnuts ~ omit for nut-free
Nope, you will not be disappointed biting into these chocolate chip zucchini cupcakes. The chocolate chips throughout the cakes are extra special little tasty surprises.
Here is another fun zucchini recipe, Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Pan Muffins, a perfect handheld dessert for snacks and parties.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cupcakes With Less Fat
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup dairy-free or regular milk
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or a measure for measure gluten-free baking flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups zucchini ~ grated
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet allergy-friendly chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 Prepare muffin tins by placing paper, foil, or silicone liners in cups.
- In a large mixing bowl add oil, applesauce, and sugar. Mix well
- Add egg or an egg substitute, vanilla, and milk, or milk substitute. Mix well.
- In a small bowl mix together flour or a gluten-free flour blend, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture, stirring just enough to blend.
- Stir in grated zucchini and half of the chocolate chips.
- Spoon into lined muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle nuts and the leftover chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Times may vary depending on oven.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving. Store in an airtight container or freeze for longer storage.