Gluten-Free biscuits won’t rise quite as high as regular biscuits, but they are still delicious! Of course, there are gluten-free recipes with eggs that will raise more.
To Make Homemade Gluten-Free Biscuits You Will Need These Ingredients:
Homemade Gluten-Free Biscuits
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbls potato starch
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum ~ or guar gum
- 1 Tbls baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp sugar optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 Tbls cold butter or Earth Balance Sticks
- 3/4 - 1 cup milk or milk substitute
- In a medium-size, bowl add all of the ingredients except butter and milk. Mix well. Add butter and using a pastry cutter, work through the butter and flour until the mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in milk slowly, moving the flour mixture around as you pour so it is evenly moistened. Stir a little until it all sticks together. With a little bit of flour on your hands knead a couple of times to form a ball. If the dough is too wet add a little more brown rice flour. If the dough is a little too dry add a tablespoon or so more milk.
- On a lightly floured surface pat dough with hands until about 1/2" thick. I like to cover my baking sheet with parchment paper and form the biscuits right on top of the pan. Then I can leave them right where they will be baking. It works like a dream!
- Cut into 16 small biscuits or 8 larger biscuits. I make 8 biscuits using this recipe.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. In my case...parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes depending on the size of biscuits and oven. Watch carefully after 8 minutes.
- Cover with a clean towel to keep warm until ready to serve.