These easy applesauce and dried blueberry muffins haven’t made it to our freezer yet because we keep eating the whole batch, but feel free to freeze them if you won’t be eating them within 2-3 days. They probably last longer but I’m just very particular about baked items being fresh when I eat them. I always freeze baked goods for the best quality.
This slightly sweet satisfying muffin is a lot healthier than most with just one tablespoon of oil in the entire recipe. These applesauce and blueberry muffins are also super easy to make all mixed up in one bowl.
You Will Need These Ingredients To Make Easy Applesauce & Dried Blueberry Muffins:
1. Unsweetened applesauce ~ cinnamon-flavored is good too
2. A ripe banana
3. Olive or coconut oil
4. Non-dairy milk substitute
5. Vanilla extract
6. Apple cider vinegar
8. Oat flour or a gluten-free one-to-one, like King Arthur’s Gluten-Free Measure For Measure.
10. Baking soda
11. Baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
13. Hemp hearts ~ highly nutritious but omit for less fat and if necessary for nut-free
14. Chopped walnuts ~ omit for nut-free and less fat
15. Dried blueberries ~ unsweetened or sugar added. I use Kirkland Signature Whole Dried Blueberries because they are plump and delicious and corn-free.
Why Did I Choose Dried Blueberries Over Fresh?
I like to mix things up a bit.
Dried blueberries bake up incredibly easy in muffins, cookies, bars, and quick bread.
There is a nice chewiness like a raisin that I prefer to bite into with some baked items.
The wonderful flavor of dried blueberries adds a sweet little surprise without getting soggy several days later.
Sometimes I love fresh berries…sometimes I love dried.
This recipe was inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie.
Easy Applesauce & Dried Blueberry Muffins ~ Gluten-Free & Vegan
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce cinnamon-flavored is good too
- 2 tbsp mashed ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk substitute
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup oat flour or a gluten-free like King Arthur's Gluten-Free Measure for Measure
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon mine are slightly rounded
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts omit if necessary for nut-free and less fat
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts omit for nut-free and less fat
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a muffin tin with liners or lightly oil.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl add applesauce, mashed bananas, oil, milk substitute, vinegar, and sugar. Mix together well.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients except the dried blueberries. Fold dried blueberries in last.
- Spoon batter into the muffin liners about 3/4 full, leaving some space for the muffins to rise. Bake 20-25 minutes.