Not only are these Riley’s favorite dog treats, but they are also my favorite ones to make. I can whip these treats up in no time at all. Riley doesn’t care how overripe the bananas are so it helps me use up the super ripe ones that normally might be fed to the goats or go in the compost.
Riley can be fussy when it comes to new recipes but not with these, he gobbles them right up and is ready for more!
You Need Just 4 Ingredients To Make Riley’s Favorite Dog Treats:
1. Old Fashioned Oats
2. Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
3. A ripe banana
4. Creamy peanut butter ~ I use natural peanut butter to avoid a lot of extra sugar. Make sure xylitol is not an ingredient because it is toxic to dogs.
I found the easiest way to roll the mixture out was between two pieces of wax paper, and then you can grab some cookie cutters and make lots of fun shapes or simply cut into squares. You can even mold shapes in your hands, just try to keep them the same thickness for even baking. I made mine about 1/4-5/8 inch thick.
These peanut butter dog treats bake in no time at all, just 15 minutes. After they cool down you and your dog can each enjoy a treat. Yup, that’s right these are healthy ingredients for humans too.
Kids love helping in the kitchen and I can’t think of a better project than making a special treat for their pup.
The Ingredients Used In Riley’s Dog Treats Are Natural And Healthy For Dogs:
1. Oatmeal is a good source of soluble fiber and provides vitamins and nutrients without additives.
2. Bananas are perfect in recipes, and as a snack…best peeled for dogs and in moderate amounts due to sugar content, meaning don’t give your dog a whole banana every day. Share a banana together instead.
3. Coconut meat is safe raw, dried, or in flakes, but like bananas, in moderate amounts. As you might suspect, the shells are dangerous so keep them away from your dog.
4. Peanut Butter as we know they love! Remember to be sure to check ingredients for xylitol as this is toxic to dogs.
Riley’s Favorite Dog Treats ~ 30 Minute Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal
- 1 large very ripe banana mashed
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter without Xylitol
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper, silicone liners, or lightly oil the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients and mix together until completely blended.
- Place dough in the middle of a piece of wax paper and flatten somewhat. Then place another piece of wax paper over top. Using a rolling pin smooth out dough rolling over the wax paper. Roll dough to about 5/8 -inch thickness. Remove wax paper off the top and using cookie cutters to make shapes.
- Place on prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. If your shapes are thin or quite small, reduce the baking time.
- Let cool to room temperature and treat your furry friend!
Recipe inspired by threelittleferns.com