Diane’s Morning Glory Muffins are hearty, wholesome, and robust filled with apples, carrots, coconut, and pecans. They are also very good!
Diane is a friend and was kind enough to share this delicious muffin recipe with us, as well as a fresh-baked batch…it must be our lucky day!
The variety of ingredients in these muffins easily reeled me right in, all the flavors blend perfectly. I don’t know about you but I not only enjoy muffins for breakfast or brunch, but for snacks too.
How can morning glory muffins be made vegan, gluten-free, and lower in fat?
1. Replace 2 whole eggs with 4 egg whites, and replace 1/2 the oil with applesauce for a lower fat muffin. You could even reduce calories and fat by using 1/4 cup pecans instead of 1/2 cup.
2. Substitute an egg replacer for egg-free or vegan muffins. EnerG Egg Replacer or aquafaba are great options.
3. Use a gluten-free all-purpose baking flour blend for a gluten-free muffin. I prefer a one-to-one type, which means the flours are measured the same as regular wheat all-purpose flour.
Isn’t it nice that the muffins are so versatile?
For those counting weight watcher points, the recipe as shown here will count as 4 points per muffin.
Oil (Diane uses 1/2 cup canola oil and 1/2 cup olive oil)
All-purpose flour (gluten-free if needed) * add 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum to gluten-free flour if it is not a baking blend. (check labels) I use King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour.
Baking soda ~ corn, and gluten-free if needed
Pecans ~ omit for nut allergies
Diane's Morning Glory Muffins
- 3 eggs egg substitute if needed
- 1 cup oil Diane uses 1/2 cup canola oil and 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour gluten-free if needed * add 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum to gluten-free flour if it is not a baking blend. (check labels)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda ~ corn and gluten-free if needed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup coconut shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans ~ omit for nut allergies
- 1 apple peeled & grated
- 2 carrots peeled & grated
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffin tins with paper liners or a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- To this mixture add raisins, coconut, pecans, apple, and carrots. Mix together.
- In a small bowl add eggs, oil, and vanilla. Beat together.
- Add oil mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined. (Remember muffins are a quick bread and will toughen if stirred too much)
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins about 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks
King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour is my “go-to” for gluten-free baking. I always get excellent results.