Deluxe Sandwich Sugar Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
Deluxe sandwich sugar cookies are pillow-soft and delicious. They stay fresh in a tightly sealed container for days and they freeze well too (even frosted). I have also shipped these cookies with bubble wrap and they arrived unharmed and perfectly delicious.
Of course, they don’t have to be made as sandwich cookies. We make them every year as both single-shaped holiday cookies and sandwich cookies!
To Make Deluxe Sandwich Sugar Cookies You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Powdered sugar
- Butter or a plant-based substitute
- Egg or aquafaba for egg-free
- Pure vanilla extract
- Almond extract ~ for nut-free use vanilla
- All-purpose flour ~ or a gluten-free one-to-one baking blend
- Baking soda
- Cream of tartar
- Chocolate chips for dipping ~ optional
- Sprinkles ~ optional
- Frosting ~ optional
Make the sandwich cookies with any flavor of frosting you like spreading it thick or thin.
Fancy them up and dip one half in melted chocolate and add some colorful sprinkles. Let the cookies cool before storing them.
Enjoy and have fun!!
You might like to try these tasty cookies too, Thumbprint Sunflower Seed Cookies, Chocolate Protein Whoopie Pies, and Healthy Cashew Butter & Oat Cookies.
These are two examples of gluten-free baking blends that can be measured the same as all-purpose flour when substituted for a gluten-free diet.
Deluxe Sandwich Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Powdered sugar
- 1 cup Butter, softened ~ or a plant-based substitute
- 1 Lg Egg ~ or 3 Tbsp aquafaba (liquid from canned garbanzo beans)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond extract ~ nut-free use vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour ~ or a gluten-free one-to-one baking blend
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Cream of tartar
- Chocolate chips for melting ~ allergy-friendly if needed, like Enjoy Life
- Optional frosting
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter, egg, vanilla, and almond extract.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
- When measuring flour stir the flour then spoon the flour into the measuring cup. Do not shake down the flour and level off. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture. Don't over-mix, as this will cause tough cookies.
- Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours.
- Heat oven to 375.
- Roll out some dough on a floured pastry cloth and cut out shapes. Make sure you make two of the same shape for sandwich cookies.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Make sandwiches with any flavor of frosting you like.
- To melt the chocolate for dipping we just melt a cup or two of chocolate chips in the microwave on low. Be careful because chocolate scorches easily.
- Dip one end of the cookie in the melted chocolate and top with colorful sprinkles. Let the cookie cool before eating and storing.