How does a spicy chicken fajita sound that only takes 30 minutes to marinate and less than 10 minutes to cook?
I use to think I made the best spicy chicken fajitas using my favorite gluten-free package mix; then, I found this recipe in the Taste Of Home Magazine. Needless to say, I won’t be buying that package mix anymore.
Why Do I Love This Recipe?
- It only needs to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Leftovers are as good as the day you made it.
- My family loves it.
- Allergy-friendly plus it’s a healthy recipe.
- It’s a perfect meal for any day of the week.
These easy chicken fajitas are perfect for:
- salads ~ Southwestern salads are one of our favorite meals. Just add some chopped romaine lettuce to a bowl topped with chicken, sliced red onion, olives, corn, black beans, avocado, and salsa. I always add some crunched up chips too.
There are so many different varieties and brands of gluten-free tortillas, and sometimes it’s hard to choose which one to buy! My favorite gluten-free tortillas are Mission Gluten-Free Tortillas. I buy both the regular and Spinach Herb.
Sometimes I even use these tortillas for a gluten-free pizza.
To Make Spicy Chicken Fajitas, You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Lemon juice
- Seasoned salt
- Oregano leaves
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Boneless chicken breast
- Sweet red and/or yellow pepper
- Green pepper
- Red onion
- Tortillas ~ gluten-free if needed
- Optional add ons ~ salsa, guacamole, regular or dairy-free sour cream, and regular or dairy-free shredded cheese.
Remember, you will need to marinate the chicken for 30 minutes. Serve your fajitas with a side of Spanish rice and black or refried beans. It’s going to be better than the restaurant!
The Best Spicy Chicken Fajitas
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red pepper or yellow ~ cut into strips
- 1 medium green pepper cut into strips
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt * check ingredients for allergens
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 flour tortillas **gluten-free if needed
- In a large bowl combine 2 Tbsp of oil, lemon juice, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Add sliced chicken breast to marinade. Turn chicken over making sure all pieces are coated.
- Let the chicken sit for in the marinade for at least 30 minutes. Refrigerate chicken if you will be marinating longer. The chicken can marinate for up to 4 hours if desired.
- When the chicken has marinated long enough get ready to prepare the fajitas.
- In a large skillet add 1/2 Tbsp of oil and saute sliced peppers and onions.
- Remove peppers and onions from skillet and set aside.
- Drain the chicken discarding the marinade.
- In the same skillet you used to saute the peppers and onions add another 1/2 Tbsp of oil.
- Heat the skillet to medium-high heat and add the drained chicken.
- Cook chicken about 6 minutes or until center is no longer pink.
- Add the sauteed peppers and onions back to the skillet with the cooked chicken; heat through and serve up in tortillas.
- Sour cream ~ dairy-free if needed
- Taco sauce
- Shredded cheese ~ dairy-free like Daiya or Follow Your Heart if needed.
Please pin and share