The Best Spicy Chicken Fajitas ~ Allergy-Friendly
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
How does a spicy chicken fajita sound that only takes 30 minutes to marinate and less than 10 minutes to cook?
I used to think I made the best spicy chicken fajitas using my favorite gluten-free package mix, but then I found this recipe in the Taste Of Home Magazine. Needless to say, I won’t be buying that package mix anymore.
Different colored peppers and onions are colorful, healthy, and the perfect combination with marinated chicken or steak.
Why Do I Love This Recipe?
- It only needs to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Leftovers are as good as the day you made them.
- My family loves it.
- Allergy-friendly plus it’s a healthy recipe.
- It’s a perfect meal for any day of the week.
Beef fajitas are drool-worthy too. Sirloin steaks cut into strips are amazing in this marinade.
These easy chicken fajitas are perfect for:
- salads ~ Southwestern salads are one of our favorite meals. Add chopped romaine lettuce to a bowl topped with chicken, sliced red onion, olives, corn, black beans, avocado, and salsa. I always add some crunched-up chips too.
There are many different varieties and brands of gluten-free tortillas; sometimes, choosing which one to buy is hard! My favorite gluten-free tortillas are Mission Gluten-Free Tortillas. I buy both the regular and Spinach Herb.
Sometimes I even use these tortillas for a gluten-free pizza.
To Make Spicy Chicken Fajitas, You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Lemon juice
- Seasoned salt
- Oregano leaves
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Boneless chicken breast ~ or steak
- Sweet red and/or yellow pepper
- Green pepper
- Red onion
- Tortillas ~ gluten-free if needed
- Optional add-ons ~ salsa, guacamole, regular or dairy-free sour cream, and regular or dairy-free shredded cheese.
Remember, you will need to marinate the chicken for 30 minutes. Serve your fajitas with Spanish rice and black or refried beans. It’s going to be better than the restaurant!
The Best Spicy Chicken Fajitas
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red pepper or yellow ~ cut into strips
- 1 medium green pepper cut into strips
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt * check ingredients for allergens
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 flour tortillas **gluten-free if needed
- In a large bowl combine 2 Tbsp of oil, lemon juice, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Add sliced chicken breast to marinade. Turn chicken over making sure all pieces are coated.
- Let the chicken sit for in the marinade for at least 30 minutes. Refrigerate chicken if you will be marinating longer. The chicken can marinate for up to 4 hours if desired.
- When the chicken has marinated long enough get ready to prepare the fajitas.
- In a large skillet add 1/2 Tbsp of oil and saute sliced peppers and onions.
- Remove peppers and onions from skillet and set aside.
- Drain the chicken discarding the marinade.
- In the same skillet you used to saute the peppers and onions add another 1/2 Tbsp of oil.
- Heat the skillet to medium-high heat and add the drained chicken.
- Cook chicken about 6 minutes or until center is no longer pink.
- Add the sauteed peppers and onions back to the skillet with the cooked chicken; heat through and serve up in tortillas.
- Sour cream ~ dairy-free if needed
- Taco sauce
- Shredded cheese ~ dairy-free like Daiya or Follow Your Heart if needed.