Caramel corn can be made with or without nuts and with either light or dark corn syrup. We are huge nut fans, in fact, the more the better!
When we go to the beach one of our favorite stops is the caramel corn shop. The smell of fresh caramel corn pulls you in right off the streets! This tradition probably started from my childhood when my grandparents would take us camping. Without fail they would always stop and buy caramel corn on the way.
To Make Granny’s Baked Caramel Corn You Will Need These Items:
Light or dark corn syrup
Mixed nuts, cashews, or peanuts. (optional) omit for nut-free
Store baked caramel corn in an airtight container.
If you like the “chewier” type of caramel corn try Gabe’s Firehouse Caramel Corn.
Granny's Baked Caramel Corn
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 qts. popped popcorn Remove any kernels that didn't pop.
- 1 1/2 cups nuts Mixed, cashews, or peanuts (optional) Omit for nut-free diets.
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil and gently boil for 5 minutes, stirring the entire time. Remove from heat, stir in baking soda and vanilla.
- Pour mixture over popcorn and add in nuts if you choose. Mix well.
- Divide coated popcorn onto two large baking sheets with edges. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour turning over or gently stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.