Making these pumpkin & apple pupcakes with peanut butter frosting for our dog Riley is always great fun. Plus it’s another great way to use up extra apples, and we have a few of those this time of year!
Riley gets so excited that it’s hard not to give him too many pupcakes!! He really loves it when I frost them with peanut butter. If you decide to frost your pupcakes be sure to check for xylitol in the peanut butter, because it is extremely toxic to dogs.
I made mini pupcakes for my daughter’s Cockapoo, Coco. Coco loves to help in the garden! She actually helps pick and devour many veggies before anyone else gets a chance to enjoy them.
Coco would probably love a regular-sized pupcake, especially if I put some kale in it. Kale is her favorite. Here you can see she is helping with the sunflowers…
Mini pupcakes take just 15 minutes to bake and using silicone cupcake liners are always my first choice. The pupcakes will pop right out by loosening the edges.
Make them mini or regular size; either way is fun and delicious for any deserving furry friend…or owner.
I prefer to chop the apples in small pieces especially for smaller dogs. Oats can be either left whole or you can grind them up in a blender after measuring them, as you can see I leave my oats whole.
Frosting the pupcakes with peanut butter is optional, but they will really love it. I just put some creamy peanut butter in a quart-sized freezer bag and cut the end off of one corner, then used it like a pastry bag. This was a quick and easy way to frost them, but if you feel like making them fancier use a pastry bag and a tip.
To Make Pumpkin & Apple Pupcakes You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Flour ~ whole wheat or unbleached
- Old fashioned rolled oats
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Canned pumpkin ~ not pie pumpkin
- Medium apple
- Creamy peanut butter ~ optional for frosting
Try Riley’s favorite homemade dog bones too!
Pumpkin & Apple Pupcakes With Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats ~ grind oats to flour after measuring if desired for a finer texture
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup unsweetened canned pumpkin
- 1 medium apple ~ chopped finely
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- optional creamy peanut butter for frosting
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a medium size mixing bowl add oats, cinnamon, and flour. Mix ingredients well.
- In another mixing bowl add applesauce, pumpkin, and eggs. Beat together then stir in chopped apples.
- Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin pans or use silicone liners. Fill cups 3/4 full and bake to 20-25 minutes. For mini cupcakes bake 15 minutes.
- Let pupcakes cool completely and top with optional peanut butter. Store pupcakes in refrigerator or freeze for longer storage. Let cupcakes sit out to defrost before feeding.
Please pin and share
Recipe Idea from Keli Mlinarik Marko.