You’re going to love the fact that pesto mixes up in a snap…it is almost too easy!
This pesto recipe is downright amazing on pizza too! We almost like it better than regular pizza sauce. Lately, my husband has been adding his tomato-based pizza sauce right over the layer of pesto.
We eat pesto often, and Cashew-Lemon Basil Pesto is definitely one of our favorite recipes. This recipe is from Dreena Burton, www.dreenaburton.com.
I changed the order of ingredients a little because I like to add the cashews first and then the liquids and spices on top. I also decided to soak the cashews because I prefer to work with a softer nut for pestos and sauces.
To Make Cashew-Lemon Basil Pesto You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Raw cashews
- Lemons or lemon juice
- Dry mustard
- Ground black pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
- Pasta of your choice ~ gluten-free/corn-free if needed
Here Are Some Optional Add-in Ideas:
- Turkey or chicken breast, roasted and sliced in bite-size pieces.
- Cauliflower gnocchi – trust me it is a good add-in. I cooked the gnocchi in an air fryer so it was just slightly crispy.
Cashew-Lemon Basil Pesto
- 1 1/8 cup raw cashews soaked 2-3 hours
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 LG garlic clove minced
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- 1-3 Tbsp water
- 2 3/4 cups packed fresh basil leaves I really pack mine well
- Pasta of choice we’ve used both fettuccine and penne. I use gluten-free for myself
- Place soaked and drained cashews in a food processor along with lemon juice, garlic, dry mustard, salt, pepper, basil leaves and 1 Tbsp of water. Puree until desired smoothness, some texture is okay.
- Add additional water 1 Tbsp at a time as needed or if you prefer a thinner pesto.
- Toss pesto with cooked and drained pasta. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or a dairy-free Parmesan. I like to use Follow Your Heart Vegan Parmesan.
- Add in cooked sliced turkey, chicken breast, or cauliflower gnocchi if desired.
~turkey or chicken breast, roasted and sliced in bite-size pieces.
~cauliflower gnocchi – trust me it really is a good add-in. I cooked the gnocchi in an air fryer so it was just slightly crispy. Follow Your Heart Vegan Parmesan.
You might also like to try this Fresh Pesto recipe with less fat.