Slice and bake sweet potato dog treats are the perfect solution to those last few sweet potatoes lying around after the holidays. It’s also a super easy way to make your dog a healthy treat or reward. But please never give your dog a raw potato of any kind.
When introducing new food to your pet it’s good to start with small amounts first. You might even want to check with your vet if you feel unsure about a new food or treat.
It’s suggested that sweet potatoes should always be peeled before feeding them to your canine friends because the skins are hard for them to digest and could cause a blockage plus any mold on the skin may be toxic. So for example, if you bake a sweet potato remove the skin before feeding any to your dog. An exception is if you have carefully cleaned the sweet potato and there is no visible mold AND you check with your pet’s vet as I have.
You will notice in the photos I have left the peeling on these chews, but this recipe is the only one that I leave mold-free skins on.
Benefits Your Dog Will Get From A Sweet Potato:
- Good source of fiber, which is good for digestive health.
- Beta-Carotene can reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Vitamin A promotes healthy skin, eyes, and muscle function.
- Great sources of Potassium and vitamins C and B.
Other Ways To Prepare Sweet Potatoes For Dogs:
- Steamed or boiled
To Make Slice and Bake Sweet Potato Dog Treats Grab These Ingredients:
Here is another super easy treat to make for your pup, No-Bake Energy Balls. These are a favorite at our house.
Slice and Bake Sweet Potato Dog Treats
- 2 Sweet potatoes Peeled or washed and scrubbed with no visible mold.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 275
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper, wax paper, or silicone liners.
- Wash, scrub, and dry potatoes and check for mold. Peel if visible mold is on the skin.
- Slice potatoes about 1/4-inch thick.
- Place slices in a gallon bag or a bowl. Add the olive oil and cinnamon to the potatoes.
- Shake bag or toss potatoes in the bowl to completely cover all the slices.
- Place potatoes on prepared pans in a single layer. Potato slices should not cover each other.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until desired doneness.
- Cool completely before storing. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freeze for longer storage.
This recipe idea is from dogtipper.com