Mashed Potatoes and Carrots ~ Sweet & Savory
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
Rich and buttery, is how I would describe Mashed Potatoes and Carrots, and not by adding a load of butter, it’s the blend of flavors that naturally occur when mixed together. Healthy comfort food that’s what this colorful vegetable combination is.
This is the kind of side dish that goes together perfectly with meatloaf, roasted chicken, barbecued steaks, and even prime rib on those special occasions. A colorful side dish for holidays too; I’m thinking Halloween would be perfect!
Here are some healthy reasons to add carrots to your potatoes:
- You’ve probably heard carrots are good for your eyes, this is correct because carrots are rich in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene helps protect our eyes from the sun, which will lower your risk of cataracts.
- Carrots are also a good source of lutein, especially yellow carrots. Lutein helps protect the eye against age-related macular degeneration.
- Fiber, vitamin K, and potassium are also found in carrots.
Yukon Gold Potatoes are perfect for this recipe because they are creamy and have a slightly buttery flavor. Yukon Golds whip up perfectly fluffy for regular mashed potatoes as well.
The first time I made this vegetable combination I used an electric hand mixer, which worked great for this recipe. Super smooth and creamy good. The second time I decided to leave them a bit “chunky” so I used a non-electric hand masher. This was fantastic and I liked seeing the pieces of carrots and the potato skins this way.
This is my all-time favorite tool to mash just about everything from bananas to sweet potatoes. It also is perfect for mixing ingredients together like pancakes, brownies, and muffins. It is made by Pampered Chef and called a Mix ‘N Masher. I like it so much better than the metal mashers, but that’s just me.
Mashed potatoes and carrots are as easy as 1-2-3, and you will only need these four ingredients:
- Potatoes ~ Yukon Gold preferably
Butter or a non-dairy substitute is optional.
I always peel my carrots even if they are organic. It is a personal taste preference, but I do leave organic potato peelings on.
After scrubbing the potatoes and carrots cut them into medium pieces and cook salted water until fork tender, which usually takes about 30 minutes.
Drain reserving some of the water. Whip up together with a hand mixer adding water as needed until reaching desired texture. Add a little butter or a dairy-free substitute if you like and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve and enjoy!
Mashed Potatoes & Carrots
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes scrubbed. Skins on is optional.
- 1 pound carrots Scrubbed ~ I prefer to peel the carrots even though they are organic.
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. butter or dairy free substitute.
- After scrubbing the potatoes and carrots, cut potatoes into medium size pieces.
- Place in a kettle. Add enough water to just cover the vegetables and add salt.
- Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Vegetables should be very tender.
- Drain vegetables reserving at least 1 cup of the hot water.
- Return potatoes and carrots to the hot pan, add butter and shake in some salt and pepper.
- Start mashing, by hand or with an electric hand mixer. Add reserved water as needed or to your preference.
- Add enough salt and pepper to desired taste.
- Serve with or without the dollop of butter or dairy free substitute.