Jo’s Zuppa Soup or as most know it, Zuppa Toscana Soup. Who’s Jo, you might ask…Jo is my mom, and she loves this soup!
I realize most folks call this Zuppa Toscana Soup…but my mom calls it Zuppa soup, and that’s the only way I know it. She got this Zuppa Toscana Soup recipe from a friend a few years ago.
While recovering from back surgery, she asked me if I would make her some. And, of course, I did! I made a double batch so she could have some in the freezer for “ready-made” dinners since she would not cook for a while.
I think it’s a bit heavy in fats. In the recipe, I added some options for those that want a soup with less fat.
I was glad to see fresh kale added to this Zuppa soup, and I just happened to be growing some in my garden. The kale adds nice color to the soup, not to mention it’s an incredibly healthy vegetable.
While I’m thinking about it, let me remind you that if a gluten-free soup is needed, be sure and check the labels on the sausage and the bouillon.
A hearty, fragrant, satisfying dinner idea.
To Make Jo’s Zuppa Soup, (Zuppa Toscana Soup), You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Italian sausage; check labels for gluten-free if needed. Optional – use a less fat sausage.
- Bacon – turkey bacon for less fat.
- White onion, diced.
- Heavy cream. Optional – half & half, or 2% milk for less fat.
- Potatoes peeled and sliced.
- Minced garlic.
- Fresh kale, chopped. (I added a little more, don’t tell my mom).
- Crushed red peppers.
- Chicken bouillon cubes. Gluten-free if needed. Herb Ox is gluten-free.
Serve with some salad and warm Italian dinner rolls, breadsticks, or a baguette, gluten-free if needed. I love that there are more and more gluten-free options in grocery stores now!
Remember…this Zuppa Toscana Soup is freezer friendly too.
Jo's Zuppa Soup Serves 5-6 (depending on portions)
- 1 lb Italian sausage check labels for gluten-free if needed. Optional - use a less fat sausage.
- 5-6 pieces of bacon sliced or cut up in chunks. Optional - turkey bacon for less fat.
- 1 lg white onion diced.
- 1 cup of heavy cream. Optional - half & half or 2% milk for less fat.
- 4 lg potatoes peeled and sliced.
- 3 tsp minced garlic.
- 1/4 bunch of fresh kale chopped. (I added a little more, don't tell my mom).
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers.
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes. Gluten-free if needed. Herb Ox is gluten-free.
- 10 cups water.
- Cook sausage in a large kettle. Drain off fat. Add crushed red peppers, saute another minute or two. Remove sausage from kettle and set aside or chill until ready to use.
- In the same kettle cook bacon, onions, and garlic. Spoon off as much bacon fat as possible.
- Add chicken bouillon and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add sliced potatoes and kale and cook until soft.
- Add cream or lower-fat options and sausage; heat thoroughly.