Family-style chicken pot pie, did someone mention comfort food? How about healthier comfort food?
A hearty homestyle chicken pot pie with less fat, loaded with healthy veggies, and topped with buttermilk biscuits. But don’t worry, you won’t mind it having less fat because this dish’s incredible flavor will reel you right in.
We’re talking about more than nine tablespoons of less fat in this recipe than traditional chicken pot pie. That’s not too shabby.
Chicken pot pies, or any meat pies for that matter, are high in fat because of that delicious flaky pastry crust but consider this option…
If you want to change things up, this healthy family-style chicken pot pie can also be baked and served in individual oven-safe dishes. This is my favorite way to prepare this recipe. Decrease the cooking time to 45 minutes.
- Skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- Chicken broth
- Yellow potatoes
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Butter or a non-dairy butter
- All-purpose flour or gluten-free any type is fine
- Skim milk or non-dairy substitute ~ I use soy milk or half soy and half rice milk
- McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning, any brand, is fine. I used Kroger Grill Time Chicken Seasoning.
- fresh mushrooms ~ yeast-free diets replace with another vegetable
- All-purpose flour or a gluten-free baking mix like Pamela’s Gluten-Free Artesian Flour Blend or Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Mix.
- Baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
** for gluten-free only ~ add 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum or guar gum if using a gluten-free flour blend that doesn’t list it in the ingredients.
- Butter or non-dairy butter
- Nonfat buttermilk or non-dairy substitute with 1/2 Tbsp vinegar
*Note: This recipe can also be cooked in separate oven-safe individual dishes. Which is helpful if someone is gluten-free and needs gluten-free biscuits. I kind of like having my separate dish. I also love these bowls, so I will use any excuse to eat out of them!!
If you count weight watcher points, allow 11 points per serving.
Healthy Family Style Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 skinned and boned chicken breast halves.
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium yellow potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes.
- 1/2 cup chopped celery I chop them into very small pieces.
- 1 10 - 16 oz package frozen mixed vegetables.
- 1 peeled and chopped carrot.
- 2 Tbsp butter or a non-dairy butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour or gluten-free any type is fine.
- 1 cup skim milk or non-dairy substitute. I use soy milk or half soy and half rice milk.
- 1 tsp Grill Time Chicken Seasoning any brand is fine. I used Kroger Grill Time Chicken Seasoning.
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms. yeast-free diets replace with another vegetable
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or a gluten-free baking mix like Pamela's Gluten-Free Artesian Flour Blend or Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Mix.
- 1 tsp baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ** for gluten-free only ~ add 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum or guar gum if using a gluten-free flour blend that doesn't list it in the ingredients.
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp butter or non-dairy butter.
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk or non-dairy substitute with 1/2 Tbsp vinegar. You may not end up using the entire amount of liquid.
- Combine chicken and broth in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken, reserving the broth. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Set chicken aside. Add
- Add cut-up vegetables to the reserved broth from the chicken. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in frozen mixed vegetables and set aside.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a medium to large saucepan at a medium to low heat. Stir in 2 Tbsp flour, mixing well.
- Slowly add 1 cup milk or non-dairy type, stirring constantly cooking over medium heat. The mixture will begin to thicken and get bubbly. Remove from heat and add poultry seasoning and all other ingredients, including mushrooms. (Not biscuit ingredients) Gently mix well. Pour into a casserole dish.
- To make biscuits combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter or non-dairy substitute with a pastry blender until it is incorporated well and resembles a coarse meal.
- Stir in buttermilk or non-dairy type. Spoon biscuit dough onto the chicken mixture in the casserole dish, making 6 biscuits. End with one in the middle.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour, biscuits will be a golden brown. Serve in shallow dishes.
- *Note: This can also be cooked in separate oven-safe individual dishes. Which is helpful if someone is gluten-free and needs gluten-free biscuits. Reduce cooking time to 45 minutes.