Baked not fried…zucchini and apple donuts.
I finally tried my donut baking pan and I am so glad I did. This recipe for baked donuts is also my Grandma’s Zucchini Bread & Muffin recipe. For some reason, it seemed like a good choice for baked donuts.
I used a different egg replacer for the egg-free option, juice from garbanzo beans…and it worked perfectly. I will definitely be using that again soon.
This recipe can be made gluten-free by simply replacing the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free baking mix like King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour Blend, Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour, Pamela’s Artesian Gluten-Free & Vegan All-Purpose Flour, or a homemade gluten-free flour blend.
*Remember with Bob’s Red Mill or some homemade mixes you will need to add Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum to the recipe, 2 1/4 tsp.
To Make Zucchini & Apple Donuts You Will Need:
- eggs or an egg substitute
- sugar (I used beet sugar in my gluten-free donuts)
- an apple
- flour ~ If using gluten-free flour add 2 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum if it is not included in the ingredients on the package
- baking soda
- baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
- walnuts (omit for nut-free)
- powdered sugar
- milk or dairy-free substitute, I used soy milk
- vanilla extract, optional
Baked Zucchini & Apple Baked Donuts
- 3 eggs egg substitute if necessary, I used 6 Tbs of garbanzo bean juice and 1/2 Tbl Ener -G Egg Replacer with 2 Tbs warm water
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups zucchini grated
- 1 apple peeled and chopped finely
- 3 cups flour If using gluten-free flour add 2 1/4 tsp Xanthan gum or Guar Gum
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda corn-free if needed
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts omit for nut-free
- Preheat oven to 350Prepare donut baking pans with a non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and walnuts. Mix. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add eggs or egg substitute, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Mix well.
- Mix in zucchini and apples. Add flour mixture and stir until mixed. Be sure to not over mix, it will make your donuts tough.
- Pour into prepared donut baking pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Gluten-free took the full 25 minutes in my oven.
- Remove from baking pan and let donuts reach room temperature on wire racks. Drizzle with icing or sprinkle powdered sugar...or do both!
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbs milk or dairy-free substitute, I used soy milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- Whisk together ingredients and drizzle over the donuts.
You might also enjoy my GF Chocolate Chip Baked Donuts!