Homemade Savory Beef Minestrone Soup is one of those “feel good” recipes. So hearty it’s a meal in a bowl, with a variety of vegetables, lean cuts of beef, dark red kidney beans, and optional pasta.
Gluten and/or dairy-free diets?
1. This recipe is easily made gluten-free by choosing any type of gluten-free pasta.
2. Check labels on broth and bouillon packages for added gluten or dairy products like whey.
Sauteing the vegetables in a little broth with the seasonings always enhances the flavors in the soup. I suggest doing this for any soup recipe. In fact, I even prefer to saute vegetables prior to adding them to a slow cooker.
What If Fresh Vegetables Aren’t Available?
1. Frozen or canned vegetables are always an option for soups if fresh aren’t available.
2. Skip the sauteing step if the vegetables aren’t fresh. Just add them directly to the broth and meat.
3. Mix it up and use any variety of vegetables you have on hand.
Can I substitute with other meats?
You can enjoy lots of different versions of minestrone soup by substituting ground beef, ground turkey, or leftover ham for the steak in this savory soup.
To Make This Hearty Beef Minestrone Soup You Will Need:
sirloin or round steak
dark red kidney beans
freshly ground pepper
Pasta ~ any variety or shape is fine; I use spaghetti broken into smaller pieces ~ Gluten-free if needed
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese. For dairy-free try Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Parmesan Cheese.
Here is a gluten-free tip:
If some people in your family need gluten-free pasta like my family, cook the regular and gluten-free pasta separately and let each person add some to their own bowl.
Savory Beef Minestrone Soup
- 1 lb sirloin or round steak cooked and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 large onions
- 2 cups celery finely chopped
- 4 large carrots sliced
- 2 yellow zucchini sliced
- 1 15 oz can green beans cut
- 2 large cloves of garlic minced
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 15 oz can of dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 30 oz can diced or stewed tomatoes ~ pureed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1-2 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper several grinds
- 1 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 6 cups beef broth
- 3-4 cups of water up to 5 cups if preferred
- 1 1/2 cups Pasta ~ any type I use spaghetti broken into smaller pieces before cooking or a small shell type pasta. Gluten-free if needed.
- Parmesan cheese Grated to serve with soup
- Cut steak into bite-size pieces and brown in a skillet or in the kettle you are planning to make the soup in.
- Add beef broth and water. Simmer for one hour.
- Saute vegetables and spices in about 1/2 cup of soup broth in a medium-sized skillet.
- Add vegetables to meat and broth. Mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add kidney beans and pasta. Cook 15 minutes or until pasta is done.
- If some people in your family or group need gluten-free pasta like my family, cook the regular and gluten-free pasta separately and let each person add some to their own bowl.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
Please Pin and enjoy the soup!!