Indulge…Low-fat Chocolate-Oat Banana Bars are a delicious idea for any time of the day.
Bananas again…I know, but they are really the perfect ingredient for low-fat, egg-free cookies and bars. These bars are sweet enough to serve for dessert…a healthy dessert. My husband came back for seconds and thirds.
Hemp seeds also known as hemp hearts are nutritious:
Try adding this nutty-flavored seed to any of your cookies and bar recipes. Hemp seeds can be eaten raw, cooked, or roasted. They are rich in healthy fats, protein, and various minerals.
- Old fashioned oats ~ certified gluten-free if needed
- Baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
- Baking soda
- Cinnamon (mine was rounded)
- Bananas, spotted are best ~ barley ripe for Low FODMAP if tolerated
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Honey, agave, or brown rice syrup
- Hemp seeds
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips. I’ve also used 1/4 cup Enjoy Life Allergy-Friendly Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips. I used mini allergy-friendly chocolate chips.
- Nuts ~ an optional ingredient (not added in WW points)
Low-Fat Chocolate Oat Banana Bars
- 2 1/4 cups old fashioned oats gluten-free
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon mine was rounded
- 3 bananas spotted are best
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey agave, or brown rice syrup
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. I’ve also used 1/4 cup mini allergy-friendly semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- 1/2 tps oil
- 2 Tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips. I used mini allergy-friendly chocolate chips.
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts ~ an optional ingredient not added in WW points
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×9 inch baking pan with cooking spray or parchment paper. I prefer parchment paper because the finished product lifts out nicely.
- Place oats in a blender and blend about 2 minutes. The oatmeal should resemble flour. Stop the blender and stir as needed.
- Place oat flour in a medium mixing bowl. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and hemp seeds. Mix well.
- Place bananas, vanilla, applesauce, and honey or another sweetener in the blender. (no need to wash it from the oats) Blend until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Pour banana mixture in the mixing bowl with oat flour mixture. Stir to combine. Fold in 1/3 cup chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. A knife inserted into the center should come out clean…other than possibly melted chocolate.
- Cool bars on a wire rack. Remove from pan if using parchment paper.
- In a small microwave safe bowl add 2 Tbsp chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave on medium power until melted. Stir well. Drizzle over baked bars. Cut to serve and enjoy!
This recipe idea is from, ambitious kitchen.com.