Healthy Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
This new healthy instant pot black bean soup recipe is so incredibly easy it’s absolutely perfect for busy weeknights. I think it’s fair to say that I might be getting the hang of this whole Instant Pot thing.
With all the flavorful spices there was absolutely no reason for me to add any fat to this recipe. I love that! A healthy fat-free soup rich in fiber and loaded with antioxidants from the onions and peppers.
For a heartier soup option, consider these add-ins:
~ cooked white or brown rice
~ ground turkey or chicken cooked and cubed or shredded
Or you can also puree the soup with a hand blender before serving for a thicker black bean soup.
You Might Be Wondering…
Do I have to pre-soak the dried beans?
The answer is no. But…I prefer to pre-soak all dried beans. My personal experience has been that it’s easier on the digestive system.
There are two ways to prepare beans before cooking, the quick soak method or the overnight soak method.
Quick Soak Method:
Rinse beans and place in a large pot. For every 1-pound of beans (or two cups) add 6-8 cups of hot water to the pot. Bring the water to a boil and continue to boil for 2 minutes. Remove pot from heat and cover. Let sit for 1 hour. Drain water from the beans and they are ready to cook.
Overnight Soak Method:
Rinse beans and place in a large pot. For every 1-pound of beans (or two cups) add 6-8 cups of cold water. Let sit overnight for 6-8 hours. Drain water from the beans and they are ready to cook.
What if I don’t have an Instant Pot?
Stovetop: Presoak the beans then add all ingredients as directed below into a large kettle and simmer for 2- 2 1/2 hours.
Slow Cooker: Presoak the beans then add all ingredients as directed below into a slow cooker. Cook on low for 9-10 hours or cook on high for 5-6 hours.
5 WW points plus per serving.
To Make Healthy Instant Pot Black Bean Soup You Need These Ingredients:
- Dried black beans
- Yellow onions chopped
- Green peppers seeded and diced
- Minced garlic
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Chicken broth, vegetable broth for vegan
- Fresh cilantro leaves ~ served as a topping
- Avocados ~ optional topping
Serve with chopped cilantro and diced avocados if desired. I offer the other add-ins for a heartier soup, like cooked rice and chicken on the side as a personal preference
While we are on the subject of beans, try making these homemade slow-cooked refried beans.
Healthy Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 pound dried black beans ~presoaked beans are optional be sure to rinse beans if not presoaking
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 2 green peppers seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1 /2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth vegetable broth for vegan
- chopped cilantro leaves ~ served as a topping
- diced avocados ~ served as a topping
- Place all of the ingredients except cilantro leaves and avocados into the Instant Pot. Stir to incorporate the seasonings.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn pressure vent to sealing. Press beans and/or pressure cook on high for 30 minutes. The Instant Pot will need to stand for 10 minutes before turning the valve to venting.
- After venting, remove the lid, and stir soup before serving.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and diced avocados if desired. I offer other add-ins for a heartier soup, like cooked rice and chicken on the side as a personal preference