First things first…Don’t mistake these Healthy GF Chilled Crispy Squares for the “well-known” rice crispy treats. Nope, no chewy, stretchy marshmallows. But they are really good, so please keep reading!
These crispy squares are a bit healthier with the same crunchy sweetness. Add some nuts and dried fruit, and you have yourself a satisfying treat or snack. Kids can help make this tasty treat too. Maybe even let them choose the dried fruits or nuts.
This recipe is adapted from the cookbook Forks Over Knives, The Plant-Based Way To Health. The original recipe is called Crispy Rice Bars.
If you count weight watcher points, each square has 2 points. I cut mine into larger-sized squares. The entire recipe has 32 points, so divide it up as desired.
To Make These Healthy GF Chilled Crispy Squares, You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Brown rice syrup, honey, agave, or pure maple syrup
- Natural peanut butter or any nut butter of your choice. Sunflower seed butter for nut-free.
- Vanilla extract
- Gluten-free crispy rice cereal
- Chopped nuts of your choice ~ sunflower seeds for nut-free
- Raisins or dried fruit, cut into small pieces. I used dried cherries and goji berries
- Mini semi-sweet allergy-friendly chocolate chips
As the title says, “chilled,” this sweet treat will fall apart if left out at room temperature.
You should also try these allergy-friendly yummy snack bars Gluten-Free Peanut Butter/SunButter Crispy Rice Treats.
Healthy GF Chilled Crispy Squares
- 2/3 cup Brown rice syrup ~ or honey, agave, or pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Natural peanut nut butter ~ or any nut butter of your choice. Sunflower seed butter for nut-free.
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 cups Gluten-free crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup Chopped nuts of your choice ~ sunflower seeds for nut-free
- 1/2 cup Raisins or dried fruit cut into small pieces. I used dried cherries and goji berries.
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet allergy-friendly chocolate chips
- Prepare an 8 or 9-inch square pan with parchment paper or a non-stick spray.
- In a small saucepan, add syrup and peanut butter. Mix well and heat until the mixture is smooth and uniform. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir well.
- Add cereal, nuts, dried fruit, and chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl. Stir well.
- Pour the syrup mixture over the cereal mixture and stir until it is well coated.
- Press mixture into prepared pan as evenly as possible. Pack it down by gently pressing it with your fingers or a spatula.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Store in refrigerator or freezer. This sweet treat will fall apart if left out at room temperature.