Apple-Berry Healthy Oat Breakfast Bars are a perfect quick breakfast to make ahead for busy mornings or before a workout. These tasty breakfast bars are not only hearty and delicious, but they are quick and easy to make as well.
We’ve certainly enjoyed growing apples, pears, plums, and figs over the years, and it’s a treat to pick fresh, organic fruit in our own backyard and garden.
I’m always trying to find new ways to use these apples rather than feed them all to our goats and cows, and this high-yield year is no exception.
APPLE VARIETIES WE GROW:
HERE ARE SOME OF OUR FAVORITE WAYS TO USE AND PRESERVE APPLES:
- Make ahead pie fillings for this Country Style Apple Pie
- Core and cut the apples in eighths and freeze. Add frozen pieces to your oats when cooking.
- Dehydrate apple slices with or without cinnamon.
- Apple Crisps
- Breakfast bars
- Baked Zucchini & Apple Donuts
We like to eat these breakfast bars because they have the same healthy ingredients as a bowl of oatmeal, plus it adds some variety to breakfast.
I had a small container of crushed berries left over from making jam and decided to mix it with some sliced apples for a new twist on our breakfast bars. The combination turned out so good that my husband keeps asking when I will make more.
Note**You could always omit the berries and add another 1/2 cup of apples. I would also suggest adding a little cinnamon to the filling if you decide on just using the apples.
Try these healthy fruit and oat bars, too, Fruit ‘n’ Oats Breakfast & Snack Bar
To Make Apple-Berry Healthy Oat Breakfast Bars, You Will Need:
- Apples (Pink Lady for Low FODMAP)
- For berries, I used mixed
- Ground flaxseed
- Pure maple syrup
- Bananas (no spots for Low FODMAP)
- Unsweetened coconut
- Hemp seeds/hearts
- Old-fashioned oats, gluten-free if needed
- Oat flour, gluten-free if needed
- Coconut oil
These healthy bars can also be served with ice cream or a non-dairy type and served as dessert.
You might also like to try these healthy scones made with oats and oat flour, Quick and Easy Small Batch Pumpkin Scones.
Apple-Berry Healthy Oat Breakfast Bars
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced apples Pink Lady for Low FODMAP
- 1/3 cup crushed berries I used mixed
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup or agave
- Oat Layers:
- 2 medium bananas mashed (green bananas for Low FODMAP)
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats gluten-free if needed
- 1 cup oat flour gluten-free if needed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil ~ I don't melt the coconut oil but feel free if you prefer.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare an 8"x8" pan with a non-stick spray or parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl add all ingredients for filling. Stir to combine and set aside. For a softer apple texture in the finished bars, microwave the apple mixture 2 - 2 1/2 minutes on high. Then set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl add all ingredients for the oat layer in the order listed. Mix well.
- Scoop out 1 cup of oat mixture and set aside for the topping. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Add apple or apple/berry mixture overall. Spoon remaining oat mixture over top and gently spread it over fruit. It won't be perfect; there will be some gaps.
- Bake 30 minutes. Topping will feel quite firm.
- Set aside to cool. (I always eat a piece right away)
- Store in refrigerator or freezer.