4-Bean Tofu Chili With Mushrooms is one of those meatless Monday meals you will enjoy any day of the week.
Go ahead and enjoy a big bowl of heart-healthy tofu chili. I’ve added four different kinds of beans, sliced mushrooms, onions, garlic, and spices to entice all the senses. Zero fat is added to this entire pot of chili.
It’s perfectly ok to add ground turkey or ground chicken to this recipe instead of the tofu if tofu isn’t your thing. But you might consider giving it a try because it has a completely different texture when prepared in this recipe.
The tofu becomes disguised once it’s crumbled and seasoned. You could even leave it out and have a 4-bean chili or add some other form of meat substitute, like Beyond Burger Crumbles, for example.
**Important ~ please read:
To Prepare tofu for this recipe or any other recipe that you might want to have a “meaty” texture, such as lasagna, tacos, or breakfast wraps, I explain in the steps below.
1 – Purchase 1 package of firm or extra-firm tofu. I suggest finding one that says NON-GMO soybeans.
2 -Open the package and pour out the liquid. Wrap the tofu square in a couple of paper towels or a clean dish towel to soak up the liquid. Try to remove as much liquid as possible.
3 -Remove tofu from the towel and place it in a freezer container. Freeze overnight or until ready to use. You can freeze tofu for up to 5 months for the best quality.
4 – When ready to use tofu, it must be defrosted. I prefer the microwave, but overnight in the refrigerator is fine too. Drain off the liquid and gently squeeze tofu to rid of even more liquid. Wrap tofu in a couple of paper towels or a clean dish towel, and gently squeeze. I like to eliminate as much moisture as possible; this gives me the best results in recipes. Your tofu will now have a rubbery texture.
To Make 4-Bean Tofu Chili With Mushrooms You Will Need:
- Firm tofu ~ previously froze, defrosted and excess liquid removed. See above info **
- Fresh mushrooms ~ I use button or Portobello.
- Minced garlic
- Canned beans ~ any combination you like. I used dark red kidney beans, black beans, red beans, and pinto beans ~ drained and rinsed (and most recently garbanzo beans)
- Tomato sauce
- Diced tomatoes
- Ground black pepper
- Chili powder
- Purple onion chopped finely for garnish.
- Grated Mexican blend or cheddar non-dairy cheese
- Crunched Corn Chips
Please pin and share
4-Bean Tofu Chili With Mushrooms
- 1 package organic firm tofu ~ previously froze and excess liquid removed and chopped.
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms ~ chopped ~ I use button or Portobello
- 1 medium onion ~ finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 – 15.5oz cans of beans ~ drained and rinsed ~ any combination you like. I used dark red kidney beans black beans, red beans, and pinto beans
- 2 – 15oz cans of tomato sauce
- 2 – 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes ~ pureed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp chili powder I use 3
- 1 1/2-2 cups water
- In a large kettle sauté onions, garlic, and mushrooms in a small amount of water, about 1/4 cup.
- Add seasonings and tofu. Crumble the tofu as you add it so it resembles ground meat. I break it up while I’m cooking it too.
- Sauté a few minutes more, adding 1/4 cup more water if needed or some of the pureed tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and simmer at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add up to 1/2 cup of additional water if chili seems a little thick. Thickness can vary depending on personal preference.1
- Pour in all the beans and the tomatoes, stirring well.
- Serve up with optional toppings!
purple onion chopped finely for garnish
grated Mexican blend or cheddar non-dairy cheese