Wheat-Free Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies are my kind of easy, fuss-free baking when I’m craving a fresh chocolate chip cookie. Here is a nifty little secret about these baked cookies though; if you freeze them they actually become chewy after they are defrosted. I packed some of these frozen cookies in a picnic lunch one day and that is how I discovered this deliciousness. In fact, we actually like them best as a chewy cookie so I keep some in the freezer pretty much all the time.
Even though this is a vegan cookie, go ahead and sub real butter and milk if you prefer.
To Make These Wheat-Free Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies ~ Gluten-Free & Vegan You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Oat flour ~ certified gluten-free if needed
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips ~ I used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Allergy-Friendly Chocolate Chips
- Coconut oil ~ or butter if preferred
- Dairy-free milk substitute ~ or milk if preferred
- Vanilla extract
- Walnuts ~ omit for nut-free and lower-calorie cookies
- Optional Reese’s Pieces to press on top before baking ~not vegan or dairy-free
These cookies fall all over the place when they are fresh from the oven so unless you plan on eating them with a fork, let them sit until they reach room temperature before trying to pick one up.
Here is a fun tasty treat if you like frozen cookie sandwiches:
~ After freezing the baked cookies add a scoop of ice cream or a non-dairy ice cream substitute between two cookies and enjoy a super tasty gluten-free ice cream sandwich. The thinness of the cookies makes these easy to eat and bite into even when frozen.
Wheat-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or butter melted
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1/3 cup regular size
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts omit if nut-free or if extra calories are not desired
- optional Reese’s Pieces to press on top before baking not vegan or dairy-free
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a medium size-mixing bowl add first 5 ingredients. Mix well.
- In a small bowl microwave coconut oil or butter on low a few seconds to gently melt.
- Make a well in the center of dry mixture.
- Add vanilla and milk product into the well and mix well.
- Pour in melted (or super soft) coconut oil or butter and mix to combine.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by 2 tbsp onto a silicone or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for about 10 minutes to set. Carefully transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Do not store cookies until completely cooled.
Recipe inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie