Round steak chickpea and lentil chili is a hearty gluten-free, allergy-friendly Low FODMAP recipe for all to enjoy.
Green and red peppers, carrots, and tomatoes make a gorgeous blend of colors in every bowl not to mention a robust flavor. The chickpeas and small amounts of lentils with lean round steak provide a protein and fiber-rich meal.
Chickpeas and lentils offer some great benefits to our bodies:
- Rich in plant-based protein
- High in fiber
- Provide healthy amounts of vitamins and minerals
- Help stabilize blood sugar
To Make Round Steak Chickpea and Lentil Chili ~ You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Round steak ~ or another preferred cut
- Olive oil
- Green Onions ~ tops only for Low FODMAP
- Green pepper
- Red pepper
- Bok Choy
- Swiss Chard ~ stems only
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Canned garbanzo beans
- Red lentils
- Taco seasoning ~ I used Fody Taco Seasoning
- Chili powder
I often add Swiss chard and bok choy to all my soups because of the high nutritional value:
- High in antioxidants
- Reduce inflammation
- Low FODMAP
- Great sources of vitamins and minerals
I suggest serving this chickpea and lentil chili with some freshly baked cornbread, gluten-free, or try this tasty corny cornbread.
Round Steak Chickpea and Lentil Chili ~ Gluten-Free and Low FODMAP
- 2 pounds lean round steak ~ or any preferred steak
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions tops only for Low FODMAP
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large red pepper
- 2 stalks bok choy
- 1 bunch Swiss chard stems only
- 4 15-ounce cans of diced tomatoes ~ puree if desired
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils rinsed
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning ~ I used Fody
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Trim and cut round steak into bite-sized cubes. Heat oil in a large kettle and add the beef cubes to lightly brown.
- Wash all vegetables and cut into small chunks. Add chopped vegetables to beef and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add diced (or pureed) tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and add to the kettle.
- Rinse lentils and add them to the kettle.
- Add all the seasonings and stir well to combine.
- Bring chili to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.