An open-faced hot crab or shrimp sandwich takes just 20 minutes and is perfect for those busy/lazy days during the week.
The flavor combination in this recipe is scrumptious and makes me salivate just writing about it.
You can mix things up and use any leftover fish from a previous meal. Try different combinations of flavors. For example, as shown in the pictures here, I used some cod that was leftover from fish tacos and added some shrimp.
Of course, crab is our ultimate favorite when available and affordable. Imitation crab can be used if you are not sensitive to the ingredients. Please read the labels.
We love these open-faced hot sandwiches and always make a few extra for leftovers the next day. They are easily reheated in the microwave, air-fryer, or under the broiler.
To make my sandwich gluten, egg, and dairy-free, I make these changes:
- I used Schar Hamburger Buns and sliced the thicker part of the bun in half, ending up with three total sections.
- Substitute mayonnaise with a vegan product such as Follow Your Heart or Simple Truth. Be sure to check for corn, soy, and nut ingredients too.
- For the cream cheese, I’ve used Daiya and Tofutti, but again be sure to read the labels these might not be the right choice for everyone.
To Make Open-Faced Hot Crab or Shrimp Sandwiches, You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Flaked crab meat ~ or cod
- Cooked shrimp
- Cream cheese ~ gluten, dairy, soy, and nut-free if needed
- Mayonnaise ~ gluten, dairy, egg, soy, and corn-free if needed
- Lemon juice ~ fresh or bottled
- Chili powder
- English muffins or an allergy-free substitute
Always store leftovers in the refrigerator and fully heat them before eating them the next day. As a rule, I never eat leftover fish after three days. Some say four is safe, but I’m not willing to gamble.
Are you a sandwich lover and like to try new flavors? Here is another of our favorite sandwiches that happen to be vegan, the Tempting Tofu Bacon Reuben Sandwich.
Meantime I sure hope you enjoy this seafood fare!
Open-Faced Hot Crab and Shrimp Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups of flaked crabmeat or cooked shrimp cut into smaller pieces
- 6- ounce cream cheese softened or a dairy-free substitute
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise or a dairy and egg-free substitute
- 2 tsp lemon juice ~ fresh or bottled
- 2 tbsp onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 English muffins split in half or a gluten dairy, and egg-free substitute
- In a small or medium-sized bowl mix all ingredients together.
- Pre-toast just a bit the English muffin halves.
- Spread even amounts of crab or shrimp mixture over each muffin.
- Broil (watching closely) until the mixture becomes bubbly and slightly browned.
Some of the allergy-friendly products I used: