This is not my mother’s beef stew recipe! Honestly, I was never a huge fan of Sunday stew in the first place. Yes…we had it every single Sunday and I would always get a miserable stomach ache after eating it.
It wasn’t my mom’s fault her stew made me sick; it was the package mix that had gluten and dairy in it. I’ve tried to find a good stew recipe over the years without using a purchased seasoning package, and they have all been pretty much blah.
Until I found this one…
I made a few changes to this beef stew recipe to suit my gluten-free diet and taste buds. We loved it, and each ate two bowls. It’s so nice to have one meal we can both eat and enjoy!
This gluten-free beef stew will also work for a yeast-free diet if you leave out the mushrooms and use a yeast-free beef broth to replace the bouillon cubes and water.
Here is the recipe I came up with using a large slow cooker. To Make “Not My Mother’s Beef Stew,” You Will Need These Tasty Ingredients:
- Round steak
- Olive oil
- Potatoes ~adjust vegetables for Paleo diets
- Carrots, sliced~ adjust vegetables for Paleo diets
- Fresh mushrooms ~ omit for yeast-free diets
- Bay leaf
- Minced garlic
- Green beans
- Petite diced tomatoes
- Beef Bouillon ~ read labels for gluten, dairy, soy, and corn products
- Tapioca flour ~ use regular flour if gluten-free isn’t necessary and for Paleo diets, substitute with arrowroot.
Weight watcher points plus count 5 points for each cup of stew.
I definitely must suggest serving this hearty stew with some incredibly flaky biscuits! They will not disappoint, but they will disappear fast.
There is a gluten-free version too!
Not My Mother's Beef Stew
- 1 lb round steak cut in about 1" cubes or to your preference.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3/4 cup celery chopped
- 2 or 3 potatoes cut to your preference. For Paleo diet substitute with appropriate vegetables
- 6 carrots sliced ~ for Paleo diet substitute with appropriate vegetables
- 10 fresh mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 tsp. rosemary
- 1 bay leaf crushed
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 10 oz green beans
- 1 - 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cubes Herb Ox Beef Bouillon ~ this brand is gluten-free and has no MSG but it does have soy and whey
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 tbsp. tapioca flour or arrowroot for Paleo use regular flour if gluten-free isn't necessary
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- Brown meat in hot oil for 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add all ingredients except the tapioca flour and cold water. Stir.
- Combine flour and cold water in a container and mix well. Add to stew. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours, or on high for 7-8 hours.