Lots-A-Oats Healthy Banana Bread ~ Gluten-free option
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
I love, love, love this Lots-A-Oats Healthy Banana Bread recipe, and so does my husband. In fact, he doesn’t even know it’s healthy! I’ve made this healthy banana bread three times, and it’s just as excellent made into muffins.
It’s pretty darn impressive the small amount of fat in this recipe; you just would never know it! Plus, there’s a whopping 5 grams of protein in each slice. Not bad, not bad at all.
How Do You Get A Tender Moist Full Flavored Banana Bread?
The best bananas for banana bread and muffins are the spotted ones.
To Keep Banana Bread From Sticking To The Bottom Of The Bread Pan:
- Line the bottom of your baking pan with parchment paper to prevent the bread from sticking.
- Use a non-stick spray.
- Try Copper Cookware; the bread pan works like a dream. I use the type with a separate piece to lift out, as you can see in the picture below.
This banana bread is not only healthy and delicious, it also has excellent plate appeal; in fact, just looking at it makes me want to eat another piece! We’ve served this bread to family and guests many times, and it’s always a huge hit.
To Make Lots-A-Oats Healthy Banana Bread, You Will Need:
- Oat flour ~ I often make my own in a blender or Vitamix (use certified gluten-free oats if needed)
- Baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
- Baking soda
- Hemp seeds
- Walnuts (leave out for nut-free)
- Spotted bananas
- Oil, I used coconut oil
- Brown sugar
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, I used allergy-friendly Nestle Tollhouse
- Extra old fashioned oats to sprinkle on top
I made a few changes from the original recipe to fit my dietary needs, like omitting the brown sugar on top and adding in some healthy hemp seeds. I hope you experiment with this amazingly delicious recipe too!!
Another healthy banana recipe you might like is Blueberry-Banana Chocolate Chip Bars. You can make them gluten-free and vegan. Also, try this traditional banana bread that nearly melts in your mouth with lots of allergy-friendly options.
Lots-A-Oats Healthy Banana Bread
- 2 cups oat flour ~ I often make my own in a blender or Vitamix ** use certified gluten-free oats if needed
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 3 Tbsp chopped walnuts leave out for nut-free
- 3 ripe spotted bananas ~ mashed
- 1 Tbsp oil I used coconut oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plus 1-2 Tbsp mini semi-sweet chocolate chips I used allergy-friendly
- extra old fashioned oats optional to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl add oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl add mashed bananas, brown sugar, vanilla, and oil. Beat until creamy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add banana mixture to oat mixture and stir to combine. Fold in chopped nuts, hemp seeds, and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Pour into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle uncooked oats over the top and extra chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40 minutes, checking after 35 minutes. A knife inserted should come out clean...other than the possible melted chocolate that might remain on the knife.
- Let the bread cool on a wire rack before removing from the pan. When the bread has cooled to room temperature slice into 8-10 slices or as desired.
- *For less sweet bread, leave out the chocolate chips or use half the amount.
- Ambitious Kitchen adds another tablespoon of brown sugar over the top with the oats before baking, though this sounds yummy it is too sweet for me. I decided to sprinkle a few chocolate chips instead.
Please pin and share…
This recipe is adapted from, Ambitious Kitchen Vegan + Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Banana Bread. I love her website, and I think you will too.