Healthy Baked Chicken Taquitos
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
Healthy baked chicken taquitos served with some spicy salsa is a surprisingly healthy, low-fat dinner entree, appetizer, or snack. Baked taquitos are lightly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside without adding extra grease from frying.
When you have leftover chicken, beef, and even pulled pork, taquitos are a perfect quick and easy dinner solution. There are many different recipes for taquitos but I prefer to keep mine simple using ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
To Make Healthy Baked Chicken Taquitos You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Shredded chicken
- Refried beans
- Mexican blend cheese ~ omit for dairy-free
- Salsa ~ I used Fody No Garlic No Onion Medium Salsa
- Taco seasoning ~ I used Fody Taco Seasoning, it’s perfect for adding a little spice
- Olives ~ optional
- Corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Guacamole for dipping, more salsa, or light Ranch dressing ~ dairy-free if needed
For something a little different but amazing try a barbecued pulled pork taquito following the same method for chicken below. Use leftover pork from pulled pork sandwiches.
To Make Pulled Pork Barbecued Taquitos You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Shredded pulled pork ~ 3 cups
- Barbecue sauce ~ I used Fody Foods Original BBQ Sauce
- Cheddar Cheese ~ 1 1/2 cups
- Corn tortillas ~ 8
- Sliced olives ~ optional
- Olive oil ~ 2 tbsp
- Extra barbecue sauce for dipping or light Ranch ~ dairy-free if needed
I prefer to bake my taquitos in a conventional oven but this is now you would use an air fryer instead:
To air-fry chicken taquitos preheat the air fryer to 375.
Cook prepared taquitos on each side for 5-7 minutes. Lightly spray the taquitos with a cooking spray if desired.
Dipping baked taquitos is half the fun. Here are some popular dipping sauces we like to serve with ours:
- Light ranch dressing ~ dairy-free if needed
- Sour cream ~ dairy-free if needed
- Barbecue sauce ~ definitely for pulled pork taquitos
- Jalapeno Dip ~ recipe below
Homemade Jalapeno Dip:
2 fresh jalapenos ~ no seeds
1 cup chopped cilantro ~ tops and stems
1 clove fresh garlic ~ 1 tsp FreFOD Garlic Replacer for Low FODMAP
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
3/4 cup sour cream ~ dairy-free if needed or light sour cream for low-fat
1/4 cup mayonnaise ~ dairy and/or egg-free if needed or light for low-fat
juice from one fresh lime or about 2 Tbsp
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend for about one minute or until smooth.
Refrigerate jalapeno dip until you are ready to serve.
These are the silicone liners I use in my kitchen.
Healthy Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 2.5 cups Shredded cooked chicken ~ varies 2-3 cups
- 1 cup Refried beans ~ varies 1-1/2 cups
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican blend cheese ~ omit for dairy-free
- 2 cups Salsa ~ I used Fody No Garlic No Onion Medium Salsa
- 2 tsp Taco seasoning ~ I used Fody Taco Seasoning, it's perfect for adding a little spice
- 8 Corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 8 ounces Guacamole for dipping ~ more salsa, or light Ranch dressing ~ dairy-free if needed
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives ~ optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Mix together shredded chicken, 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup salsa, and taco seasoning.
- Lay tortillas out on a flat surface. You can heat each tortilla for a few seconds in the microwave to soften it, but I skip this step. I personally don't find enough advantage from it.
- Spoon about 2 tbsps of chicken mixture lengthwise across the tortilla.
- Add 1-2 tbsps of refried beans on top or next to chicken lengthwise.
- Add 1 tbsp or less of salsa over chicken and beans. Sprinkle some cheese overall and a few slices of olives.
- Carefully roll the tortilla up somewhat tightly and place the seam down on the baking sheet. Sometimes a little oil on the seam helps it stay closed. If you place the taquitos right next to each other side by side this helps too.
- Continue until all the taquitos are filled. If you like you can lightly brush the taquitos with oil before baking. Omit the oil for less fat.
- Bake taquitos for 15-20 minutes, checking at 15. They will become lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve with guacamole, salsa, queso, or jalapeno dip.