Old-Fashioned Mac & Cheese ~ Gluten-Free & Plant-Based Options
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
Good old-fashioned mac & cheese is popular with all ages, this we know for a fact!
I actually made this recipe so many times I decided to purchase individual baking dishes for my family. All three had a version they liked best. It was one of my daughter’s favorite dishes, and it was super easy to make her a gluten-free version.
The gluten-free version pictured here is also dairy-free. Made with the cheese substitute, Daiya Cheddar Shreds.
My son liked his mac & cheese right off the stove instead of baked. Kind of like the popular box mixes, but without all the preservatives and dyes!! There’s no baking for this version, and pretty quick too.
Here is the traditional recipe…oven-ready, topped with remaining sharp cheese. This cheesy mac and cheese will bake for 30 minutes.
Mac & Cheese can be served as a main dish or a side dish. Left-overs? Well…if you’re lucky!
To Make This Old Fashioned Mac & Cheese You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Butter or butter substitute (not shortening)
- Flour (gluten-free- any combinations)
- Milk (or milk substitute, I used soy)
- Sharp or cheddar cheese, grated. (Follow Your Heart Cheddar Shreds or Daiya Cheddar Shreds for a Vegan version)
- Elbow macaroni ~ gluten-free if needed. Tinkyada makes a nice firm pasta. I also like Bionaturae Organic Elbows.
Your family is going to love it! Creamy and delicious under a cheesy crust.
Another popular family favorite recipe is Easy Beefy Bake and Skillet Burgers, also known as Sloppy Joes.
Old Fashioned Mac & Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter or butter substitute not shortening
- 1/4 cup flour gluten-free- any combinations
- 2 cups milk or milk substitute, I used soy
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz grated sharp or cheddar cheese Follow Your Heart Cheddar Shreds or Daiya Cheddar Shreds for a Vegan version
- 3 cups elbow macaroni ~ gluten-free if needed, Tinkyada makes a nice firm one
- Heat oven to 350
- Cook macaroni for about 10 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- Make a white sauce:
- In a large skillet with edges, melt butter. Add flour and salt, mix well. I like to use a wire whisk.
- Whisk until the mixture is bubbly stirring or whisking the entire time. I keep the temperature at medium or just above medium heat. The mixture should be bubbly but not become clumps.
- Slowly pour in the milk and continue to stir or whisk as flour mixture blends in with the milk. Don't worry it will! Just keep stirring.
- Heat and stir the mixture until it thickens into a nice white sauce.
- Remove from heat and add grated cheese reserving about 3/4 cup for the top.
- Stir well to blend as it melts.
- Add cooked noodles and stir well. Don't worry if the noodles are sticking together, as you continue to stir they will separate.
- Pour into a casserole and top with more cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered. Serve immediately
- Your family is going to love it! Creamy and delicious under a cheesy crust.
This recipe is amazing!!
Thanks so much! We are huge fans of it too.