No one is going to know these gluten-free, allergy-friendly coconut oat cookies are healthy. These cookies are incredibly soft and flavorful without using eggs or butter. Of course, you can make these coconut oat cookies with regular or whole wheat pastry flour if gluten-free isn’t necessary.
This recipe idea is from The China Study Cookbook; they call them Coconut Oatmeal Cookies. I made a few changes for my own personal needs.
Here Are A few Of The Changes I Made:
- Adding nuts and raisins with a batch made with whole wheat pastry flour.
- Subbing a gluten-free flour blend for whole wheat, then adding dried cherries, nuts, and allergy-friendly mini chocolate chips. I loved the addition of dried cherries, chewy and slightly tart.
- I used certified gluten-free oats.
**PLEASE NOTE: Unfortunately, these are not corn-free due to the vinegar. Some recipes can swap lemon or lime juice for vinegar, but I haven’t tried it here, and I’m not sure how it would affect the flavor. I would love to know if someone tries one of these substitutes, though!
- Dairy-free milk substitute, I used soy milk.
- Sugar or sugar cane alternative ~ I used beet sugar.
- White vinegar
- Gluten-free rolled oats
- Gluten-free flour baking blend like King Arthur Measure For Measure, or try one of these options at this link, Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Blends.
- Baking soda
- Baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Chopped walnuts or any nut of choice; omit for nut-free diets.
- Dried fruit ~ dried cranberries or dried blueberries are wonderful.
- Mini semi-sweet allergy-friendly chocolate chips like Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
Freeze or store in a sealed container, these cookies are even slightly soft when they are frozen : )
Gluten-Free, Allergy-Friendly Coconut Oat Cookies
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar ~ or another type of dry sweetener. I used beet sugar
- 1 cup any non-dairy milk ~ I used soy
- 1 banana mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp white vinegar ~ optional substitute of lemon juice for corn-free
- 1 cup Gluten-free flour baking blend ~ King Arthur Measure For Measure Gluten-Free Flour or Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Blends.
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder ~ corn-free if needed
- 1 cup Gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts ~ omit for nut-free or less fat
- 1 cup dried cranberries or blueberries
- 1 cup Semi-sweet mini chocolate chips ~ I used Enjoy Life Allergy-Friendly Semi-Sweet Mini Chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- In a small mixing bowl add non-dairy milk, banana, vinegar, sugar,and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, oats, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Stir in coconut, chopped nuts, and cranberries or blueberries.
- Drop rounded tablespoon-sized scoops of dough to a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cookies sit for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Cool completely before storing.