GF Sweet and Sour Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
GF sweet and sour chicken made right in your own kitchen that tastes as good or better than the restaurant. It’s not a quick meal, but it’s easy, and the leftovers are fantastic.
To Make GF Sweet and Sour Chicken, You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Granulated sugar
- Garlic salt ~ garlic substitute for Low FODMAP
- Distilled white vinegar
- GF Soy sauce or coconut aminos
What To Serve GF Sweet and Sour Chicken With:
- Stir-fry vegetables and glass noodles
- Roasted vegetables and rice
- Fried rice and stir-fried vegetables
- Leftovers are delicious in a wrap ~ gluten-free tortillas
Could I use thigh meat instead of breast meat?
Absolutely, but the breast meat makes nice-sized chunks and has a very neutral flavor; thigh meat has slightly more flavor, which might be noticeable to some.
The Process Is Simple:
- Chunks of chicken are first dipped in eggs and rolled in cornstarch.
- You will then fry them for a short time in olive oil.
- A simple sweet and sour sauce is poured over the chicken.
- Toss and flip the pieces of chicken every 15 minutes to thoroughly coat the chicken.
You might also like this easy Sweet & Sour Crock-Pot Chicken.
GF Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt ~ to taste
- 1/8 tsp pepper ~ to taste
- 3 Lg eggs ~ 2 might be enough depending on the size of the chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp olive oil ~ more if needed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt ~ or a Low FODMAP garlic substitute
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Wash and pat dry chicken breasts
- Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks and place on a large cookie sheet
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken pieces. I like to use a grinder.
- Place cornstarch in a shallow or flat type dish.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl for easy dipping.
- Roll chicken pieces in cornstarch covering all sides.
- Dip coated chicken in eggs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and cook to lightly brown all sides.
- Place cooked chicken on a large cookie sheet with sides or a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside and make sweet and sour sauce.
- In a small mixing bowl add sugar, ketchup, distilled white vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic salt or garlic replacement. Whisk well.
- Pour sauce over chicken and gently toss chicken to cover with sauce.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes uncovered. Gently stir, move, and turn chicken every 15 minutes during the baking time. The sauce will thicken as it bakes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy every bite!
This original sweet and sour chicken recipe is from wwwlifeinthelofthouse.