Granola is my weakness and I love that this GF Nutty Coconut & Banana Granola gives me another reason to use up those extra bananas!
I had one extra banana that I needed to use or it was going in the compost! I already made cookies and didn’t need any more banana waffles and pancakes. Nor was I in the mood for banana bread.
I’ve seen a few variations of adding mashed bananas to granola and I thought this was an interesting and delicious idea.
I liked that it could be Low FODMAP friendly too simply by using just barely ripe bananas. The tricky part with just barely ripe bananas is they don’t mash easily, so I purée the banana in a blender or Vitamix and basically liquefy it. This works with other recipes too.
This banana granola recipe makes about 10 -1/2 cup servings or 1/4 – 1/3 cup servings
To Make This Yummy GF Nutty Coconut & Banana Granola You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Gluten-free old fashioned oats
- Macadamia nuts or nuts of your choice
- Salt ~ omit if using salted nuts
- Ground flaxseed
- Hemp seed
- Unsweetened coconut
- Coconut oil, melted
- Pure maple syrup
- Banana, mashed ~ just barely ripe for Low FODMAP
- Cranberries or Raisins optional
Large mason jars are a great way to store granola and they are also an easy way to share with a friend or neighbor!!
GF Nutty Coconut & Banana Granola
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free old fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts ~ or nuts of your choice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt ~ omit if using salted nuts
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp hemp seed
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 large banana mashed ~ just barely ripe for Low FODMAP
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup dried cranberries or raisins ~ optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large mixing bowl add the first 8 ingredients. Mix well.
- In a small bowl add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, mashed banana, and vanilla. Mix well. Or use my Vitamix suggestion (perfect for less ripe bananas) and puree everything together. See Notes**
- Pour liquid mixture over dry mixture and stir well. All ingredients should be nicely mixed and coated.
- Spread onto parchment paper. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Stirring granola 2-3 times during baking time to brown evenly.
- Remove granola from the oven and let it sit at room temperature to cool completely. Store in a tightly sealed container.