Fudgy GF Chocolate Cake ~ Rich chocolate flavor & low-fat
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
A fudgy GF chocolate cake that is unbelievably moist, delicious, and even low-fat! I was thrilled to find this chocolate cake! I was even more thrilled to eat it!!
A recipe is a bonus for me when it’s already egg-free and I don’t have to figure out the best egg substitute. Love that!
I tried making this cake with two different gluten-free flour blends and baking times. I found that I preferred the version shown above that was more like a cake, because after all…it is a cake!
But we all know there are those times when a gooey fudgy treat hits the spot, so just shorten the baking time by about 5 minutes for this version.
This gooey fudgy version will look more like the picture shown below. Also, this one is a bit sticky; so chill it before eating for the best results. I also used mini semi-sweet chocolate chips on this version of the chocolate cake.
Both options are insanely delicious and addicting so watch out!
For me, chocolate with a very rich, solid chocolate taste is what indulging is all about. Not to mention absolutely required if I’m going to satisfy a craving.
This cake is definitely my new favorite treat! It’s already a low-fat cake but you can leave out the chocolate chips if you want a dessert with even less fat.
A Few Tips On The Ingredients I Used:
~I used almond butter in this recipe but any nut butter is fine.
~If you are not gluten-free you can, of course, use regular all-purpose flour. I used Pamela’s Artesian Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Blend. This product already has xanthan gum in the blend, which is necessary for gluten-free baking. If your gluten-free flour does not have xanthan gum you will need to add it to this recipe.
~You will also notice I used beet sugar in my recipe. My choice of beet sugar is, NOW non-GMO Beet Sugar. I use beet sugar because I have a sensitivity to sugar cane. Either type will make a perfect cake.
There are 2.5 WW points in each serving if divided into 12 squares.
Fudgy GF Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend the blend should include xanthan gum. If not add 1/2 tsp to the recipe.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup beet sugar ; regular granulated sugar is fine too.
- 1/3 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup nut butter of choice; I prefer almond or peanut butter ~ sun flower seed butter for nut-free.
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet allergy-friendly chocolate chips or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. I used Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels which are allergy-friendly.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare an 8"x8" pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the first 4 ingredients. Mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl combine water, sugar, mashed banana, nut butter, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Combine mixtures in a medium mixing bowl and mix well with a spoon. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy your cake at room temperature or chilled.
- For a gooey brownie-like texture bake 25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and serve chilled or frozen. I like these frozen they taste like fudge!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator or freezer
This recipe idea is from Chocolate Covered Katie, Chocolate Banana Snack Cake. I made a few changes for my own personal needs. Follow the link to find her original recipe.