Easy Grilled Flank Steak and Marinade is a tasty, inexpensive way to serve steak. The marinade is simple and basic, and the steak is quick to grill, about 10 minutes for medium rare. Grilled flank is delicious sliced and served on a salad, over rice, in a wrap, or on its own with a side of fresh corn-on-the-cob or mashed potatoes. It’s a “win-win” dinner for sure.
We made barbecued sandwiches with the leftovers the next day…Mmm, so good.
The first time I made flank steak, I left it in the marinade too long, ten hours. So to be safe, I suggest marinating between 2-6 hours because the meat can become tough if it sits in the marinade too long.
To Make Easy Grilled Flank Steak and Marinade You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Soy Sauce ~ I used San-J Tamari Gluten Free
- Olive oil
- Honey ~ I used Clover honey
- Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- Fresh ginger root or dried ginger powder
- Garlic powder ~ Fody Garlic Replacer for Low FODMAP
- Flank steak ~ 1 1/2- 2-pounds
- Green onions ~ tops only for Low FODMAP
- Salt & Pepper
Alternate Cooking/Grilling Methods:
- Broil the steak in the oven
- On the stove in a skillet
- Slice the steak thin and cook strips in a wok
Flank steak needs to cook hot and fast. If it cooks too long, it will become chewy. Some say rare to medium is best at 125 to 135 degrees F using a meat thermometer. I suggest using a digital thermometer because it registers a temperature quickly and is easy to read.
After removing the steak from the grill, it should rest for at least 5 minutes. This will create a tender steak by allowing the juices to be redistributed throughout the steak. Cut the grilled flank steak across the grain when you are ready to serve.
Easy Grilled Flank Steak and Marinade
- 1/2 cup Soy-Sauce ~ I used San-J Tamari Gluten-Free
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Honey ~ I used Clover honey best for Low FODMAP
- 2 Tbsp Seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp Dried ginger powder or 1/2 Tbsp fresh grated ginger root
- 1 tsp Garlic powder ~ I used Fody Low FODMAP Garlic Replacer
- 1 2- pound flank steak approximate size
- 2 bunches green onions ~ green only for Low FODMAP chopped
- In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, olive oil, honey, vinegar, ginger, and garlic.
- Place flank steak in a baking type dish with sides and pour marinade over top.
- Sprinkle chopped green onions or tops of green onions over steak.
- Cover steak and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry. Discard marinade. Salt and pepper the steak and let it rest while the barbecue heats up to 450 degrees F
- Grill the steak for 5 minutes (we close our bbq lid) then flip and cook the other side covered for 4 minutes. Check doneness.
- Once the steak is cooked remove it from the grill and cover, allowing the steak to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Cut steak against the grain and serve as desired.
A digital thermometer like the one shown here is one of my favorite kitchen tools.