Chocolate Protein Whoopie Pies are almost too good to be true and super simple to make. They are so rich and dreamy you won’t even miss the original whoopie pies. Better yet, these are a tad healthier and I even snuck in a little protein.
Okay, I know frosting isn’t healthy so I kept it to a minimal amount. Just 1/2 of a tablespoon adds 35 calories. To make an even healthier option substitute creamy nut butter or SunButter in the middle.
Add some colorful fun to the cookies and roll the sides onto colorful sprinkles. Match the colors of sprinkles to different holidays or party themes.
- Adding instant coffee to chocolate cakes, brownies, and cookies enhances the chocolate flavor, but feel free to omit it if you prefer.
- For a low sugar chocolate protein whoopie pie, substitute the sugar with equal parts of Monkfruit Sweetener. This sweetener is easy to use and baked items are just as delicious and flavorful as if you used regular sugar.
- My “go-to” allergy-friendly vegan frosting choice is Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Vanilla, Chocolate, and Funfetti. This brand does have corn.
- For a corn-free and vegan frosting try Simple Mills Vanilla.
I know these fluffy chocolate whoopie pies aren’t going to last long, so be sure to save those ripe bananas. I have a pretty good feeling you’re going to be needing them!
- Gluten-free flour blend that includes Xanthan gum or Guar gum. Guar gum is corn-free. I used King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure for Measure.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Instant coffee
- Chocolate Protein Powder. I used Orgain Organic Chocolate Protein Powder sweetened with Stevia.
- Sugar or Monkfruit Sweetener
- Nut butter of choice
- Vanilla extract
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips, regular or mini. Allergy-friendly if needed, I used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips.
- Optional sprinkles
- Frosting of your choice
ENJOY…with or without sprinkles
If you are interested in a few more healthier chocolate treats try one of these tasty desserts, Chocolate Fudgy Protein Bars, German Chocolate Sweet Potato Brownies, or Easy Gluten-Free Chocolate Snack ‘n’ Cake.
Chocolate Protein Whoopie Pies
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend that includes Xanthan gum or Guar gum. I suggest King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure for Measure or Pamela's Gluten-Free All-Purpose Artisan Blend
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee grounds
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder I prefer Orgain Organic Protein Powder
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar or Monkfruit Sweetener for les sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup nut butter of choice; I prefer almond or peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet allergy-friendly chocolate chips or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. I used Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels which are allergy-friendly.
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla frosting
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the first 6 ingredients. Mix well.
- In a small bowl add water, sugar, mashed banana, nut butter, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add banana mixture to dry mixture and mix well with a spoon.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop 2 tbsp of dough onto the baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cookies rest about 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Freeze and add frosting later, or make sandwich cookies once they have reached room temperature.