Chickpea & Ground Turkey Chili ~ Gluten-Free & Low FODMAP
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
I’m all about this new Chickpea & Ground Turkey Chili recipe! I whipped this recipe up one night when I was craving chili and nothing else would do…You know that kind of craving, don’t you? But the chili I usually make has black, red, pinto, or kidney beans onions, and garlic, which is not Low FODMAP.
I grabbed my Low FODMAP guidelines and set out to take care of my craving and create a whole new chili recipe.
Now I happily eat this chili weekly, and sometimes twice a week; once as a chili dog. Talk about a tasty meal, and I don’t miss the black, pinto, and red beans as much as I thought I would.
Have you noticed how popular chickpeas also known as garbanzo beans are lately? And I don’t mean just whipped up as hummus…
Chickpeas pack a decent amount of protein and fiber as well as vitamins and minerals.
Note** Before you throw away the liquid from the chickpeas/garbanzo beans read this:
- If you like egg-free recipes, the liquid from the canned garbanzo beans is a fantastic egg substitute in baking.
- Every time I open a can of chickpeas I save the liquid in small containers to freeze so it’s always on hand.
- Three tablespoons of the liquid equal one egg in baking.
Every spoonful of chickpea and ground turkey chili is hearty and satisfying. It might just surprise you the number of healthy ingredients I added to this recipe, in fact, I think you could call it “superpower chili!”
Serve your chickpea chili with or without grated cheese. We enjoy ours with freshly baked cornbread.
The small amount of added red lentils and quinoa provide extra fiber and nutrients to this easy Low FODMAP chili, and no one will even notice because they don’t change the flavor at all. Quinoa and lentils are filling and low-calorie too.
You Will Need These Ingredients To Make this Low FODMAP Chickpea & Ground Turkey Chili:
- Lean ground turkey or chicken
- Garlic infused oil
- Green bell pepper
- Red or orange bell pepper
- Tops of green onions
- Tomato sauce
- Pureed tomatoes ~ fresh, frozen, or canned
- Garbanzo beans (drained)
- Dry red lentils
- Red or tri-colored quinoa
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Low FODMAP Garlic Replacer
This chickpea chili is freezer-friendly, therefore next time you may decide to make a double batch!
Chickpea & Ground Turkey Chili ~ Low FODMAP & Gluten-Free
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1 Tbsp garlic infused oil
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red or orange bell pepper
- 2 bunches of tops only green onions
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 5 cups pureed tomatoes ~ fresh frozen, or canned
- 15 oz can of garbanzo beans drained
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils
- 2 Tbsp red or tri-colored quinoa
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp Low FODMAP Garlic Replacer
- In a large kettle brown the ground turkey or chicken. Drain and rinse the cooked meat if desired. (I always do)
- Add garlic infused oil to the kettle, cooked meat, and all of the chopped vegetables. Saute about 3 -4 minutes then add all other ingredients.
- Stir well and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Ingredients I used in this recipe:
Please pin and save