Chicken Tortellini Soup ~ Gluten, egg, & dairy-free options
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
The base of this soup recipe is very much like your standard chicken noodle soup. I just decided one night to add some tortellini instead of egg noodles.
Those with food allergies should note that most tortellini do have eggs and dairy, though some are available without gluten.
Here is my gluten, dairy, and egg-free version of this chicken tortellini soup. I tossed in some gluten-free brown rice penne. It’s a delicious option.
- Chicken breast ~ or turkey
- Bay leaf
- Chicken broth, we like lots of broth. I feel like the amount of broth, (liquid) is a personal choice.
- Chicken bouillon
- Thyme, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- Frozen tortellini, gluten-free if needed.
- Fresh parsley for garnish
I allow people to add their own cooked pasta to their bowls since half of us are gluten-free.
Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 3 chicken breasts cooked and cubed or shredded.
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced or diced.
- 3 celery stalks sliced or diced.
- 1 bay leaf
- 8-12 cups chicken broth we like lots of broth. I feel like the amount of broth, (liquid) is a personal choice.
- 1 cube chicken bouillon.
- 1 tsp thyme crushed.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 pkg frozen tortellini gluten-free if needed.
- Fresh parsley for garnish. optional
- In a large kettle saute chopped vegetables in a small amount of broth for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add bay leaf and thyme, cook 1 minute more.
- Add cubed or shredded chicken, (or turkey) 8 cups of broth, and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add up to 12 cups of broth if preferred.
- During the last 10 minutes or so, add tortellini to the soup or you can cook the tortellini and pasta in a separate kettle if some of your family or guests are gluten-free.
- I allow people to add their own cooked pasta to their bowls since half of us are gluten-free.